How Do You Make Sure Corydoras Get Their Foods

dwarfpufferlover

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have the same issue right now, I plan on getting a feeding dish and planting it under a piece of bogwood and plant coverage.

This way the Cories can’t push the wafers into the open for all.

watermelon46

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I agree with Freshwater-Freshman; that sounds like an idea that would work! You could feed them by hand (I mean, pellets wouldn't really work but you could put a long item of some kind through a bigger piece of food and put it at the bottom, and move it according to wherever the cories go. I'm not much of an expert with feeding them like that because I haven't actually done it myself, but researching and looking on youtube might give you an idea of how to do it. It depends on the size of the food, though.) Hope I helped! Again, the post freshwater-freshman put is worth trying as well.

oldsalt777

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
axel said:
It seems my tetras always eat all of it even sinking pellet before it hit bottoms. Does bury it in the sand help the cories to get their food?
Hello axel...

Feed foods that sink, like pellets and wafers. Also, you can feed toward evening an hour or so before the tank lights are tuned off or go out. Bottom feeders, like Corydoras are more active later in the day.

Old

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you have a HOB use the water fall to force the food down.

You can also get sinking pellets and use this. I feed flakes to distract the fish and throw pellets in.

Also when the lights are off and the fish are sleeping you can sneak in the food that way.

axel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
watermelon46 said:
I agree with Freshwater-Freshman; that sounds like an idea that would work! You could feed them by hand (I mean, pellets wouldn't really work but you could put a long item of some kind through a bigger piece of food and put it at the bottom, and move it according to wherever the cories go. I'm not much of an expert with feeding them like that because I haven't actually done it myself, but researching and looking on youtube might give you an idea of how to do it. It depends on the size of the food, though.) Hope I helped! Again, the post freshwater-freshman put is worth trying as well.
last time i did that, all my tetras are bloated. even though my cories get their food. Im considering giving away either cardinal tetras or cories . im not sure yet

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I use the big sinling pellets so as it softens they eat at it. I drop a couple in a little after lights out and it seems to work.

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Fashooga’s method is what I use too.

I have corys in a couple of guppy rearing tanks. Those lil buggers are gluttons. So immediately after the flake comes the sinking pellets. If I don’t think they got enough, I drop a few pellets in after lights out.

But I think I over feed and this is just my paranoia that they aren’t eating.

axel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Fashooga said:

You can also get sinking pellets and use this. I feed flakes to distract the fish and throw pellets in.

Also when the lights are off and the fish are sleeping you can sneak in the food that way.
thx im gonna try it

watermelon46

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Fashooga said:

Good idea! Wow, axel, I didn't know it was that much of a problem - those must be some needy picky fish you've got there. I like Fashooga's idea.

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think the feeding in the dark is the best idea. When I was keeping a tank way back in the 1960's, I never had any Cory that lived longer than 6 weeks. They probably starved. They didn't have all the specialty foods back then that they do now. A friend of mine had a 5 gallon tank with water so green you couldn't see through it. The only thing in it was the biggest Aeneus Cory I have ever seen. He had it for a long time.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom