how do you make driftwood ornaments sink??

1. tom5678 Member Member

about 2 weeks ago now i started putting fish into my new 50 gallon freshwater tank. they all seem to be happy at the moment =].
    yesterday i bought some new plants and a sort of driftwood thing as an ornament. but when i put it into the water it floated :'(.
    i got it to sink by tying two spoons to it ;D but any idea how to get it to sink again?
    thanks for any advice. =]

2. platy ben Well Known Member Member

I have tied rocks to it with fishing line or rubber bands and this seems to work fine without bothering the fish :)

3. tom5678 Member Member

what sort of rocks?
    like pebbles?
    or ones from the fish shop?

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

5. platy ben Well Known Member Member

Just find a large enough rock or stone that will weigh it down and boil it, I got mine out of the garden :)

6. tom5678 Member Member

ok that sounds easy enough.
    also do you know anyhting about bristle nose plecos?
    mine is kind of eating my apple snails shell at the moment. will it harm the snail at all?

7. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Tom. Your snails should be fine. Your Pleco is probably just cleaning the algae off it's shell.
    Ken

8. tom5678 Member Member

thats good.
    why does my pleco never move?
    it just sits under its house thing and hides =[
    are they supposed to swim around?

9. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Plecos mainly are nocturnal coming out at night. He'll pop in and out during the day. As long as he looks healthy he probably is. :) Very peaceful fish.
    Ken

10. platy ben Well Known Member Member

I have a female bristle nose pleco in my 72G and she will move around during the day but only in the darker areas of the aquairum, as Ken said, they are nocturnal.

11. tom5678 Member Member

would it be a bad idea to take his "house" out of the tank then?
    it is like a hollow tree root sort of thing so he often just sits inside it all day =[...

12. platy ben Well Known Member Member

I would leave his 'house' in as taking it out may cause unwanted stress to the pleco, also if the pleco is new to the aquarium he may take a while before he comes out much.

13. thorpbrian Member Member

I'd leave it in there. Pleco's like having a place to hide during the day. Like every one said, they're mostly nocturnal. If you you want to see them more active then get moonlights for your tanks so you can see them at night after lights out. Simply put, if your expecting your pleco to swim around and be active during the day then your going to be disappointed.

14. tom5678 Member Member

ok =] i will just have to be patient then

15. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore!!(if I didnt already )
    how was the tank cycled in 2 weeks? maybe the plec is feeling some effects of that? I know my bns arent ever hiding ..they are too nosey LOL

as far as your snails, as long as there arent any cracks or holes in the shells, im sure they are just cleaning them ...would love to see pics sometime!

16. tom5678 Member Member

well to cycle it i wasnt so sure i read the thing on cycling and got confused. i put some food into the tank. i think it was some flakes each day and some shrimp pellet food. i also used some chemical in the water i think that it was to remove somthing from the water but i am not so sure.the snails shells are quite cracked because they climb to the top of the tank and fall off onto the ornaments (plecos house thing and the driftwood). then they get big dents in theit shells. they are also going green because of the algea but i didnt know how to stop that.
    i will try to put some pics in soon.

17. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

If you don't know your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings, there's no way to tell if your tank is cycled, going through a mini-cycle, or even if it ever was cycled. If you don't already have a test kit, I'd like to recommend the API master test kit. You need a good, reliable liquid test kit. :)

Also, your tank info only mentions a tank that was started years ago. Would you mind updating your info?

I'm concerned that your tank isn't cycled. Unless you used Tetra Safe Start, it usually takes longer to cycle a tank than 2 weeks. An uncycled tank can lead to stressed fish and snails and could be causing your pleco to be lethargic and hide.

Are you able to check the bottles and let us know what stuff you've been using?

Thanks! :)

18. tom5678 Member Member

i think i know what they all are.
    tell me if i am right:
    ammonia is when the food breaks down after not being eaten.
    then nitrates are where the bacteria break up the ammonia.
    not so sure about nitrites.
    i will update info now though =]

19. tom5678 Member Member

i will check the test stuff and chemicals tomorrow and tell you what they are =]

20. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Ammonia is when the leftover food and also the fish waste break down. There is a beneficial bacteri that converts the ammonia to nitrItes. Another bacteria then breaks down the nitrites into nitrAtes. Any ammonia or nitrites in the tank can be lethal to the fish. A bit of nitrates are okay. You have a well-colonized bacterial bed when you have enough bacteria that they can process all of the waste in the tank and have no nitrites or ammonia left. You can tell because you'll have readings of 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 5-20 nitrates. I hope this explanation helps. :)