How Do You Make A Brine Shrimp Culture.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Themaniac19, Apr 11, 2017.

1. T

Themaniac19 Valued Member Member

I'm looking into getting one or two cultures going on. If you have a link to a website that explains it well, that would also be appreciated.

2. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

I use a 2 liter bottle, save the cap. Cut it so that when you turn the top half upside down, it sits in the bottom half and stays pretty level. Get out my extra air pump, add some line with a rigid line at the end, pour some warm water into it, add about a tablespoon of marine or aquarium salt to it, then let the salt mix for about an hour with the air pump running. I put this under my grow lights that I use to start garden plants. After about an hour I put between 1/4-1/2 a teaspoon of brine shrimp eggs in, they tank about 18-24 hours to hatch. After they hatch, I use a dropper to suck out the brown hatched eggs from the top (after I've turned off the air pump), then I use a coffee filter put around a mason jar with a rubber band to hold the filter in place. I use this to drain the bbs that I want to use, then I rinse with fresh water a few times, then suck them up and put them in my fry tank.
    The bbs are only good for about a day before they start loosing their egg sacks, making them less nutritious.

3. OP
    OP
    T

Thank you! How much water should I put in the bottle, and how often (and how much) should I be doing water changes?

4. APierce

I fill the bottle up until there is about 2 inches of room left at the top. I don't do water changes as I don't raise them to adults, I feed them to fry, so I'm not sure on that.

5. OP
    OP
    T

Okay, so how long will one culture last? A month? Also, what should I be feeding the shrimp?

6. APierce

I only use the baby brine shrimp to feed my fry, so they don't get fed. It usually lasts me around a day or two when I've got lots of fry to feed! (or else if I have a lot left, I will actually freeze them before they loose their egg sacks) If you are looking to raise them past that, hopefully someone else will be able to help you out :)

7. OP
    OP
    T

I'm using them for larval axolotls and they'll only eat live prey, so freezing them isn't an option. Thanks for the help though!

8. PokeTileCraft101

PokeTileCraft101 Valued Member Member

If u still have trouble get on YouTube and search up king of day brine shrimp

9. lilabug4545

lilabug4545 Well Known Member Member

BBS is okay, but as soon as possible, you should start feeding live earthworms. They'll still have the movement, but they'll have a little meat on them.

10. OP
    OP
    T

Well according to other breeders, BBS is great.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice