How Do You Make A Brine Shrimp Culture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AWheeler

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I use a 2 liter bottle, save the cap. Cut it so that when you turn the top half upside down, it sits in the bottom half and stays pretty level. Get out my extra air pump, add some line with a rigid line at the end, pour some warm water into it, add about a tablespoon of marine or aquarium salt to it, then let the salt mix for about an hour with the air pump running. I put this under my grow lights that I use to start garden plants. After about an hour I put between 1/4-1/2 a teaspoon of brine shrimp eggs in, they tank about 18-24 hours to hatch. After they hatch, I use a dropper to suck out the brown hatched eggs from the top (after I've turned off the air pump), then I use a coffee filter put around a mason jar with a rubber band to hold the filter in place. I use this to drain the bbs that I want to use, then I rinse with fresh water a few times, then suck them up and put them in my fry tank.
The bbs are only good for about a day before they start loosing their egg sacks, making them less nutritious.

OP
T

Themaniac19

Valued Member
Reaction score
I use a 2 liter bottle, save the cap. Cut it so that when you turn the top half upside down, it sits in the bottom half and stays pretty level. Get out my extra air pump, add some line with a rigid line at the end, pour some warm water into it, add about a tablespoon of marine or aquarium salt to it, then let the salt mix for about an hour with the air pump running. I put this under my grow lights that I use to start garden plants. After about an hour I put between 1/4-1/2 a teaspoon of brine shrimp eggs in, they tank about 18-24 hours to hatch. After they hatch, I use a dropper to suck out the brown hatched eggs from the top (after I've turned off the air pump), then I use a coffee filter put around a mason jar with a rubber band to hold the filter in place. I use this to drain the bbs that I want to use, then I rinse with fresh water a few times, then suck them up and put them in my fry tank.
The bbs are only good for about a day before they start loosing their egg sacks, making them less nutritious.
Thank you! How much water should I put in the bottle, and how often (and how much) should I be doing water changes?

AWheeler

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I fill the bottle up until there is about 2 inches of room left at the top. I don't do water changes as I don't raise them to adults, I feed them to fry, so I'm not sure on that.

OP
T

Themaniac19

Valued Member
Reaction score
I fill the bottle up until there is about 2 inches of room left at the top. I don't do water changes as I don't raise them to adults, I feed them to fry, so I'm not sure on that.
Okay, so how long will one culture last? A month? Also, what should I be feeding the shrimp?

AWheeler

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I only use the baby brine shrimp to feed my fry, so they don't get fed. It usually lasts me around a day or two when I've got lots of fry to feed! (or else if I have a lot left, I will actually freeze them before they loose their egg sacks) If you are looking to raise them past that, hopefully someone else will be able to help you out

OP
T

Themaniac19

Valued Member
Reaction score
I only use the baby brine shrimp to feed my fry, so they don't get fed. It usually lasts me around a day or two when I've got lots of fry to feed! (or else if I have a lot left, I will actually freeze them before they loose their egg sacks) If you are looking to raise them past that, hopefully someone else will be able to help you out
I'm using them for larval axolotls and they'll only eat live prey, so freezing them isn't an option. Thanks for the help though!

lilabug4545

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm using them for larval axolotls and they'll only eat live prey, so freezing them isn't an option. Thanks for the help though!
BBS is okay, but as soon as possible, you should start feeding live earthworms. They'll still have the movement, but they'll have a little meat on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom