How Do You Know Your Snail Problem Is Solved?

1. Photobelle

Photobelle Valued Member Member

I got some driftwood a few months ago and have been dealing with a pong snail problem. I just got 2 small clown loaches on loan, but I was wondering how you know the snail problem is gone? I have taken everything out and gotten rid of eggs and all snails. I was good for a few weeks then boom they came back. So I am hoping these guys will help. Thank!

2. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

When you no longer see any pest snails.

3. OP
    OP
    Photobelle

Photobelle Valued Member Member

Lol that's so hard because I know for everyone 1 I see there are probably 5 I don't see. I was hoping there was another trick.

4. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Maybe try putting a piece of lettuce in the tank at lights out and then see if there are any snails munching on the lettuce in the morning.

5. angelcraze

angelcraze Valued Member Member

I think it's something that takes time rather than trying to remove eggs and snails all at once, you'll have to stay on top of it daily. The lettuce trick is a good one, keep removing lettuce with snails every morning. Or there are even small traps available as well as DIY traps.

Assassin snails also really help to slowly eradicate pest snail, they can reproduce as well, but no where the rate of pest snails. They will eat left over fish cod once the snails are all gone.

Take care not to overfeed and keep substrate clean to discourage pest snail reproduction.

You can't know if all snails and eggs are gone, you'll just have to stay on it until there are no more. It's been two months since I gave my mother 6 assassin snails to deal with her pond snail issue in her 30 gallon, I just received an update that the snails all almost all gone.

Good luck!

6. DuaneV

DuaneV Well Known Member Member

If there are snails all over the glass, you have a problem.

If not, problem solved. lol