How do you know when your tank is fully cycled??

1. Captin P Member Member

How do you know when your tank is fully cycled? How many fish can a fully cycled 55g tank handle being added to it at one time without overloading the cycle? I'd like to add about 12-14 Lake Malawi's total.

2. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore.

A cycled tank will have no measurable ammonia or nitrite and will have nitrates. I see you have an API Master Kit. What are your current parameters?

How are you cycling your tank? Is this a different 55G from the one listed in your profile?

Will have to let someone else with experience with Lake Malawi cichlids answer your stocking questions.

3. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

:animal0068:I have moved your thread from Aquarium Water to Aquarium Water/Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle section of the forum.

Thanks!

Ken

4. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Test the water parameters everyday and do appropriate water changes to bring the ammonia and nitrites back to 0. When the readings on ammonia and nitrites are 0 and you see the nitrates, and you no longer have to do DAILY water changes, then you are then cycled. I have an African Cichlid tank if you need more information on that.

I have a question too, if you do not mind me hyjacking your thread for a moment. I have a 60 gallon tank that will not cycle. It has ammonia and nitrites, but no nitrates and it has been that way for a while. Is my doing daily vaccuuming and 25-50% water changes daily stopping the cycling? Or hindering the cycling at all. Just wondering because it is taking soooooo very long.

5. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

You should really start your own thread. Hijacking is not considered good etiquette and every cycling situation is a little different. ;)

6. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Thank you LyndaB for the etiquette lesson. And if I think about it, you are right. It is a lot like interupting a conversation!!:-[:-[:-[:-[

7. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

It's more that if you start your own thread, then the members can help you deal with your specific tank. When there is more than one member looking for help in a single thread, the dialogue can get really confusing for everyone involved. You definitely get help fine-tuned to your situation with your own thread. :)

8. Captin P Member Member

Thanks Catsma! -I cycled with a seeded sponge in one of the hob's for about a month then about a two weeks ago i started with "cycle". I just tested the water and everything is a 0 and my nitrates are at about 40. and yes it is the same tank, lost all the other fish in an accident. :( Ive always wanted cichlids and it seemed like as good a time as any so here we go! :)

9. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Aw, I'm sorry you lost your previous stock. Yes, it does sound like your tank is cycled. If you don't currently have fish, make sure to keep up with an ammonia source until ready to stock the new cichlids.

:;fAs you now are needing stocking help, I have moved your thread to Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates/Freshwater Fish Forums/Cichlids/African Cichlids forum.