How do you know when your Betta is dying?

smillermom

Reaction score
Hi! I have had my Betta for quite a while, he is quite large in comparison to the pet stores and though his colors are great, he is slowing down big time. All he does is lay on top of the plants in my tank. What are the signs I need to recognize that he is dying? He is defintely not as active and I know he is over 3 years old. Thanks.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would say if your Betta is in good health other than being elderly, there really are not signs. You will come to the tank some day and he will have peacefully passed. Don't we wish they could all go that way. Otherwise the normal signs of distress apply. (shortness of "breath", difficulty breathing, loss of color, lethargy, lack of appetite, laying at the bottom of the tank) This list is significant when there is not an apparent cause for the problem. It is still bad to have them ill and they should be given the benefit of the doubt, and never just "well he is old anyway", but when there is really nothing wrong - just the symptoms in an elderly Betta - then you can watch and check a little more often as your little buddy may be close to passing. For a Betta to reach the age of yours, he must have gotten fantastic care and love, and I thank you for being a super Betta parent. They need all the good people to help them and love them that they can find. You have a very fortunate Betta.

Rose

OP
S

smillermom

Reaction score
Thank you for your wonderful thoughts and comments. Yes, I love this Betta dearly, he keeps me company while I do my computer work at my desk and comes right over to see what I am doing. It will be quite the loss for me when he does go. He has really slowed down this last week Just either lays on top of the plants or the bottom of the tank . He has been a wonderful pet.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
it is obvious that he has been a wonderful companion and I know from the way you speak of him that you love him very much. he sounds like he is slowing down simply because of age and yet not so much that he is having pain or illness or distress. While you will hate to see him go, you may be one of the fortunate ones who can lose their little buddy to natural causes rather than a horrible disease. He has obviously had the best of care and love and should he go soon you can comfort yourself with that fact. You must be the best Betta mommy.

Rose

New Threads