How do you know when you are a severe betta lover?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shine

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Same way that they would actually shoot a horse just for a scene in those old westerns, or break a leg with a tripwire to get the animal to fall . Animal rights needs to do some catch up

B

Borisbbadd

I haven't seen it,

I think you know you are a severe betta lover, when you can remember all of the betta's names, but can't remember your kid's names.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ew, that's sick! Never seen it, and don't think I ever will now...

How about in any other films we get the actors to really fight or break a leg or shoot someone for the "real" effect? Hmmm, cruel? Well - animals feel pain too.

OP
F

fishtroy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I had no idea about those Westerns. That is beyond terrible. Now I will boycott.

Yes it was on TV last Saturday here is Australia.

I did not expect to be so affected by the scene, especially when he lifted out the dead betta in the end. Oh gosh, I hope Bond gets that villan.

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Same way that they would actually shoot a horse just for a scene in those old westerns, or break a leg with a tripwire to get the animal to fall . Animal rights needs to do some catch up
ok so i don 't support alot of what they did in those old westerns (piano wire trip lines etc.) but it's a bit late now to boycott them. Modern practices are incrediably strict and actual stunt horses are worth a lot of money and are babied almost more then the stunt actors. As for the horse shooting.... I'm curious where you heard that...

Shine

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thats why I specified "OLD" westerns. As in; the ones that were produced in the 40s and 50s. boycotting them now wouldn't serve any useful purpose.

lol--and as for actors fighting or breaking a leg; you can watch those same westerns for that effect! I've seen a couple of 'brawls' in those movies that look really painful for the 'stunt' guys

OP
F

fishtroy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'm still boycotting! My Grandmother collects the OLD Western movies but I am now never watching any of them! It would make my ill to think that the stunts were real to the animals. In memory of the animal lives lost, it is a small price to pay to not watch the old western movies.

Poor stunt men! Ouch!

Shine

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well, it was due to increased public pressure and animal rights lobby groups that led to the change of practice in hollywood regarding the treatment of animals that were used to produce movies. They now have people onsite during filming to insure the animals are treated appropriately.

Unfortunately that doesn't seem to have effected the scene that started this discussion: the fighting fish.... given that those advoctes are there for the furry creatures and apparently humane treatment of fish hasn't crossed their radar yet. :-\

Reminds me of the campus ad that exists somewhere (haven't seen it, but heard the debate) where the one student cooks and eats his roommate's goldfish. The campus/residence commity was contacted (sent a wave of outraged mail from the sounds of it) but still runs the 'commercial' anyway.

pinksprklmonkey

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Animal abuses are still everywhere, they just aren't allowed in movies. Which I think is a very good thing.

I seem to remember a very public issue a couple years back involving dogs. I think Charlize Theron (not entirely sure, but I think it was her) came out against some experiment where a clinic wanted to test how long bones where going to take to heal on some new steroid. The method of testing? They had 50 dogs (german shepard sized from pounds) that they were going to break their legs... with a baseball bat.

It got such bad press they stopped the experiment. Or so they say. I often wonder if they don't just go more underground with it.

Betta Whisperer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Those horse killing movies you're talking about were years ago. They don't do that now. Now days PETA is right on the sets when animals are used. Nothing like that would ever happen now. Don't know when the movie when the Bettas was made but I can't imagine it was anytime lately.

Shine

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It was made in 1963 apparently... I've never seen it, so I went and looked up the release date

Charlemagne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It's quite cruel to shoot a horse or break its leg just for a movie. It's cruel to force Bettas to fight for a movie. However, I think some (not all) people in the animal rights movement have gone overboard. Animals are living creatures and deserve good care, but they are just animals. They don't have to be treated as well as humans. Anyway, that's just my :

Shine

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
And why not? They are living creatures too and deserve to have their lives as stress free and painless as possible. Besides I think many things that people believe 'they can't live without' are anything but! We go too far sometimes in ascribing 'rights' when little or nothing has been done to justify them.

Animal rights people have definately gone overboard in some cases, but so have the courts in cases where the 'defendant' is clearly trying to make money off their own stupidity and not taking any responsibility for their situation or actions. People are 'coddled' too much in NA.

Animals on the other hand, need protection and groups looking out for them because they are totally within our control; they live or die at our whims.

Heather M

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yeah, they have some videos of bettas fighting on YouTube. It's a shame. You would think if it were dogfighting then they would do something. Why not with the bettas? I know dogfighting is illegal. Isn't betta fighting? If not, it should be!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 24.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 9.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 67 67.0%

Top Bottom