How Do You Know What Your Floating Plants Need (minerals)?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Homeslice, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Homeslice

HomesliceWell Known MemberMember

I've got some dwarf water lettuce. I have it floating in a small container, where I added tap water and Prime to dechlorinate, and have a couple minnows in there to provide plants with ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.

They seem to be doing OK, especially after I tried adding some iron.

But how do you know how much of what minerals to add, or what else the plants might need? I have no clue how much minerals, or what kinds, come in the tap water.

Thanks!

2. -Mak-

-Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  3. OP
    OP
    Homeslice

Thanks you Mak - I think your very last line might have directly answered my question - that, for purposes of determining what I might add to the water, I am best to assume that the water currently has NO minerals. I guess, if there is some calcium and magnesium in there, it won't be too bad for plants/fish/snails/etc.? Thanks

4. -Mak-

-Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

You might be able to pull up some local water reports, but a GH/KH test kit will tell you for sure what the water that goes into your house is like.

It doesn't hurt anything living no, unless you have fish that absolutely must have soft water. The only issue is it doesn't contain adequate amounts of the 14+ nutrients plants need

5. OP
    OP
    Homeslice

Thanks Mak! A GH/KH test kit look like just a general test - there are no cheap and easy tests to tell how much of the each of the 14+ needed minerals are in one's water? Thanks!

6. -Mak-

-Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

There are for some of them, though I don't really think they're needed. Better to dose a little more than needed that to risk deficiency and weakened plants, which welcomes algae.

7. OP
    OP
    Homeslice

Understood Mak, makes perfect sense. Thanks!

8. -Mak-

-Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

Glad to help :)