how do you know a female is ready

1. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

Ok, but I want to know how do you tell if the girl is ready as in: is it the white spot they get on their underbelly? My Hermione has one right now, but she is such a tiny little fish she surely can't be ready yet, can she?

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello fishTroy. The white spot you mention, are you referring to the genital papilla being exposed?
    Ken

3. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

Ok, bit too technical terms there for me. She gets this little whitish spot - it emerges just before the large fin on their belly starts. I have read online that this spot can be an indication.

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Genital papilla is the breeding tube (both male and female) and I'm pretty sure that's what you're speaking of. In other fish, if the papilla is exposed then the fish is about to lay eggs. I don't have this experience with Bettas as I just got mine :)
    Ken

5. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

Ok. So this may be an indication. My Hermione looks so small I have a hard time believeing she is old enough to breed but her white spot says differently. Do some betta females just never grow larger? I've had tiny ones for their whole life and larger ones for their whole life? Is it something in their genetics or is Hermione immature?

6. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Most fish for the home aquarium can breed at 3 to 4 months of age. Is she displaying breeding bars? I'll have to let a more experienced Betta owner answer your other questions. :) Hopefully MartinsMommywill see this and help out.
    Ken

7. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

No breeding bars, but she is so pale in colour I doubt they would show up. I bred my Iphigenia who was pure white, she played her part perfectly (it was daddy who dropped the ball) but I never saw the bars on her. Hermione has a flesh/cream body and my other Electra has a white/off white body. Yep, I hope MM can help, I am definitely getting breeding ideas in my head.

8. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

I'm sure she wouldn't mind if you sent her a private message. I think someone is wanting to hear the pitter patter of tiny fins swimming around.:giggle:
    Best of luck and if you decide to let your fish spawn please keep us posted.
    Ken

9. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

Yes, Fishy Clucky is the term I'm using! LOL! & of course if I end up breeding I will keep you posted, I'm going to need constant advice!

10. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

thats her ovipositor spot which ALL (or most in some colors dont show up) female bettas have....she wont have a breeding tube per say....if she isnt barring up with vertical bars....have you read MM link that was posted for you? https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/betta-breeding/37434-step-step-guide-breeding-bettas.html

11. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

fishtroy, it would have been better to start your own thread rather than taking over vincent's.

12. Martinismommy Fishlore VIP Member

In answer to your question how will you know when she is ready I think the best answer to that is she will be displaying vertical bars and have a big round belly...If you put her next to her Prince she should flirt and eventually bar up....

Are you set up properly to do this breeding? Read the breeding info prior to breeding so you can be prepared...Good luck....Keep us posted and photo's of the newlyweds would be nice too..

13. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

great idea..ive moved your post fishtroy ...

14. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

:) Thanks Shawnie.

15. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

Lucy & Shawnie: Sorry, was on the same subject though.

MM: I attempted breeding a year or so back so I still have all the equipment. The only thing I don't have is a couple. My girls are the only CTs I have so I would have to find a perfect match before thinking of breeding. I have read your step by step guide but my girls have me confused. I never saw bars on Iphigenia even though she went through the whole process! Hermione and Electra live next door to one of my males and they pretty much ignore his existence! I would be glad to see some flirting.

16. Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

I hear that conditioning the pair so that they can't see each other or only get a glimpse occasionally is helpful.
    Light bodied females bar but they're frequently almost impossible to see.