How do you keep babies from getting sucked into the gravel vac?

Sanderguy777

I recently started a guppy tank and the babies are living in the rather large gravel and small moss mat I have in the tank. I tried to do a gravel vac with the water change the other day, but some babies got really close to the siphon, so I ended up not doing a gravel vac and just doing the WC with a filter media bag on the end of the vacuum.

I'm curious now, what method do you guys use to keep the babies safe? media bags? multiple stage buckets? breeder boxes?

This is mostly a list of methods like the "how to acclimate fish" thread, but specific advice won't be ignored ;^)

jasmine-smith

When my guppy had babies I just didn't gravel vac with water changes until they were big enough that I could see them better (2 to 3 weeks old). Then I would carefully gravel vac with a light and try to avoid them. Afterwards I'd check the bucket and any guppies in it were caught and released back into the tank. So I guess the exact way you did

Falena

I don't gravel vac with small fry, personally. But I don't have livebearers either.
So aside from my pygmy cories happily multiplying in my tanks, any breedings I have done are usually in bare bottomed tanks where I'll use an airline hose or turkey baster and a torch to carefully suck up waste. And a siphon with a pop sock over the end to perform large water changes.
I wanted to post so I can see how others do it though, because I'd love to know if there's a way to stop having to fish pygmy cory fry out of my bucket. They're incredibly difficult to get out and put back in the tank

Sanderguy777

I used to have a siphon hose with a grate on the end that kept fish and rocks out, but that was about 10 years ago and I doubt if they are made that way anymore....
Not that it would help the babies, but gravel keeps getting into my siphon hose too...

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
b33fsquatch
Replies
Views
PetLover418
Replies
Views
Arvil
Replies
Views