How Do You Interact?

?

How much do you interact with your fish?

1. none i just watch

18 vote(s)
    40.9%
  2. hand feeding

25 vote(s)
    56.8%
  3. petting/ touching

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. playing

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. Cory & the Catz Member Member

So i have been reading a ton about fish lately, i am entirely an addictive personality. I read about the high interaction levels of Oscars and want one so bad, but i don't have the tank size or space for a 100 gallon. I like my current fish but im wondering how i can interact with them, or if i even can without stressing them? I can basically hand feed my gourami's, if i put my hand in the tank they don't really run from me and once i tried gently touching them and they seemed cool with it but i don't want to do it and stress them. If i cant i like the idea of a small tank for a single fish that will be more interactive... I like the idea of a pea puffer or betta in a 5/10 gallon. Either way i am interested to hear your interaction stories and how you interact with your fish, i love my fish even if i only get to watch their behavior but i was just wondering how far i can take interacting with my fish.

2. PraptiPanda Member Member

I love interacting with my betta! I got him only a week back, but he lets me handfeed him, plays tag and follows me around in his tank. Bettas have awesome personalities! Whenever I talk to him, he locks eyes with me and looks as though he's listening intently... Who knows, maybe he is? :D

3. Landos Well Known Member Member

Put a pellet on your finger and your betta will jump for it.

4. vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

An electric blue acara is a great alternative to an oscar for a smaller tank. If you were just doing one as a "wet pet" and no other fish, a 20 long is probably sufficient.

My daughter likes to run back and forth in front of the tank to get the gold barbs going--they dash alongside like crazy puppies hoping for food :hilarious:

5. Cory & the Catz Member Member

Wow great suggestion that is a beautiful fish. Wow that's funny that they chase her i am beginning to think fish behavior is all based on food lol sounds kinda like me :p

6. Fish-whisper Member Member

My angelfish are trained eaters, they line up in their spot and I feed each in order. I don't feed them by hand but use a large syringe with tube on it, they all get the same amount of food and don't try stealing from the other fish. I used to let the female bettas jump on my finger for food, I stopped that because they get excited and sometimes missed my finger and jumped out of the tank.

My flowerhorn eats out of my hand and really likes to be petted but I'm careful not to rub his slime coat off. The flowerhorn loves watching cartoons on his 42" LCD, he also plays with rubbers toys that I bob up & down on fishing line. The flowerhorn is way beyond aquarium fish, it is pet fish extraordinaire, like a dog that lives in the water. I swear if they had water trails through the park you could take this fish for a stroll...haha

7. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't personality house a EBA in anything smaller then a 30g long (36 x 13), but they would be much more comfortable in a 55g.

but to the OP just in case, Electric Blue Acaras are deferent from Blue Acaras. EBA will only get 4-5" while EB can get up to 7-8". The Electric Blue Acara is the result of hybridization between Blue Acara and the Electric Blue Ram.

Their are many fish who I would consider under water dogs they all adapt to you and start noticing you ect..personally my fancy goldfish , my severum , my blood parrot , my EBA and my Betta all interact with me whether it be hand feeding ,following, or petting.

8. jtwizz Member Member

i pet my snails, and hand feed my goldfish and my platies on occasion. i also talk to them, and i swear they can hear me say "dinnertime" from across the room.....

9. 2211Nighthawk Well Known Member Member

My goldy will let me pet him and follow me around the tank. He gets SO excited when I get home because my front door opens right into ye living room where his tank is. my loach loves to give me kisses when I stick my hand in to the tank.

10. Cory & the Catz Member Member

After the post i read up on the EBA and came to the same conclusion about the 30 long, but id prefer it to be the happiest it could be. Thanks for the insight. Wow you have lots of interactive fish, in your opinion which is the most fun to interact with? I know fish have their own personalities as well, but just wondering if there is any trend.

What type of gold fish? i have been wanting an oranda they looks so fun.

11. 2211Nighthawk Well Known Member Member

Common Goldie. (And before everyone gives me heck he's a special case in a 60g. I would not advise doing that, but considering the two options he has this is the better.)

12. Cory & the Catz Member Member

When i first put my snails in i lowered them in by hand to ensure they were safe and felt them crawling on my hand i found that fun but i feel like it might not be good for them with chemicals my skin may contain so i haven't done it again.

13. Kailyn Member Member

I hand feed my jack dempsey and sometimes he'll let me pet him on his head.

14. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

Honestly I would probably say my fancy goldfish , They just always seem in a good mood, They arnt scared of me , if I would fit in my 65g I think I would be able to swim with them and they wouldn't mind it. I could hand feed them, I could pet them , they will follow me when I move around the room, if I put my finger against the glass they will also follow it back and forth, their very active ,always scavenging for food .

my blood parrot not so much interactive but very fun to watch , he will dig holes , he will move decorations around if it's light enough to ram into , he will move sand around by spitting it , he will find a territory and "design" it the way he likes. I can hand feed him tho.

15. Cory & the Catz Member Member

Thats awesome to hear, i was thinking once i get more experience under my belt and make some room id get myself a larger tank and try to home some oranda goldfish or cichlids. Sounds like both were great picks. Do you think 2 fancy golds and an apple snail would suit a 55 gallon?

16. kayla.s Well Known Member Member

My angels will let me touch them, but I'm so afraid of hurting them somehow that I really do keep it to a minimum. They will deffs also eat out my hand. Little pigs:rolleyes:

17. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

In a 55g you can have up to 4 fancies , some say 20g for the first fancy and 10g for each additional, others say 30g for the first fancy then 10g for each additional, I think it's depends which fancy exactly meaning an oranda goldfish can get up to 8" while a ranchu will stay relatively smaller getting only 5", so stock based on knowing that. In a 55g I wouldn't put 4 orandas , but I would put 2 oranada(8") , 1 ranchu (5") and 1 lionhead (5"). Sorry if I didn't make a whole of sense lol.

I don't keep snails with my goldfish unless I would have algea which I don't , goldies are huge eaters and will eat anything and everything , I've tried in the past with snails but goldfish won't allow the snail enough time to even get to the food before they eat it all.

you can't go wrong with fancy goldfish or cichlids , I just happen to have a very soft spot for fancies.

18. fissh Well Known Member Member

I had a 32" and a 28" Arowanas That would swim threw my hands like snakes when I put my hands in the tank.

19. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

Arowanas such beautiful fish , I would love to keep one to bad they need extremely large tanks which I wouldn't be able to fit in my collection of 7 aquariums.

20. Cory & the Catz Member Member

In the same tank? must've been a huge tank o_O
    To me they look like dinosaurs but beautiful swimming dinosaurs. Very cool to hear about their behavior must be pretty crazy having them swim inbetween your hands like that.