Question How do you guys name your fish?

CatM30

Reaction score
For those who have schooling fish or multiple fish that look alike, do you name the individual fish? Do you give them all the same name? Like if you have 10 tetras are they all named Clyde?

Best Answer - View MrBryan723's answer

Utar

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
That's big mamma because she is the biggest in the tank, that's my little guy because he is the smallest, that's rascal because he is the trouble maker, that's hungerboy because he gets to the food first and eats the most, etc.

marmaaa

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My female betta that I got is pretty young, so not sure how her colors will come in but as of now her scales are white and her fins are red. So I named her Red Onion:)

Bambikill

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't name my fish. With one exception. My super rot bristlenose. "Builder Bob". :D
He just recently got his name, even though he's something like five, six years old.

Never really thought about naming him but I was complaining to others about the annoying little thing keeping me up at night with his new hobby; rolling a small terracotta pot over the bottom of the temporary tank they're housed in... It doesn't matter how many times I move it--in the morning, he has dug away all sand from underneath it, moved it to the wall, and keeps rolling it here and there. It seems to amuse him and I would feel bad if I took it from him, since it's his favourite hideout at the moment.
(When I moved them to the temporary tank in wait for the larger one to finish cycling--I found the pot buried in the sand and silt--I'd completely forgotten that it was in there, but then I remembered that he was the one who buried it there, to begin with...) He drives me crazy when he's at it, but at the same time--he's really kind of charming with his hard work moving the pot...

So; "Builder Bob"... :p
(I've had a tame gull called "Bob" but it can't be helped. Mr Annoying just can't be anything than "Builder Bob"...)

FishBoy101

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I never name my fish. Mainly because they are always schooling fish! I name the specific ones, like, big one, or small one.

Betta02

Reaction score
Most of my fish don't have names. I can't tell them apart. My Black Moors are Fred and Barney, and my one Angel is Groucho because he looks like he has a mustache and is not very nice. I may come up with a name for my other Angel eventually, but mostly I just call them 'kids'.

ghostdawg

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
When I first started keeping fish last year, I did name my 3 BST, the Three Stooges, because they were three different sizes, but once I started adding more fish, I stop naming them. I can't tell them apart anymore!

FishGirl115

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Idk about schooling fish. I have male guppies, so I can tell them all apart. I name them by personality, color, etc.
with my peppered corys, I name the ones I can tell apart. Example: one has pectoral fins that are really long and stick out to the side like airplane wings, she is named Jet. Two others are Pepper and Cory :D

Deku-Cory

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They either get very human names that are typically associated with the opposite gender (ie: a female named Boris) or they get very on the nose names. Like Stubby for the Cherry Barb that lost most of his tail. Except he regrew it so the name doesn't fit him too well. The opposite gender names came from my long history of deciding a fish is one gender only to later realize it's another. Some examples include a female Peppered Cory I named Big Guy, a female Bronze Cory I named Rocky, and a male Guppy I named Honey. I also just think it's funny to give fish names of the opposite gender. People act like I'm somehow offending the fish by giving them these names. They're fish. They have no concept of what a name even is, much less the fact that I've given them a strange name.

MrBryan723

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Usually an expletive followed by "the fish" like "jon the fish", but not jon. Also seafood names.

New Threads