How do you guys keep your quarantine tank cycled?

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
welcome to FL.
Most people run an extra filter on a larger tank, and move it over for quaranting purposes. A few keep fish in their q tanks to keep them cycled.

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If I actually had a Q tank it'd be small so I'd have a little 10 gallon filter running on my 50 along with the filter it already has then just move it to the Q tank when needed. But as of right now I don't use one because I work at the store I buy almost all my fish so I get to check them out and watch them a week or so before I buy.

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I run extra media on my main tanks. However after it's done it's QT stint I either toss it or leave it dry for a few months before I'll let it back on my main tank again. (shrug) I'm paranoid like that.

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've read different threads saying that a sponge can help in setting up a quarantine tank. You just have to make sure it has not been used before, and does not have any sort of detergent/cleaning soap whatsoever in it.

Craig-D

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I don't keep my quarantine/hospital tank operational at all times. When it's needed I bring it out of storage, fill it with water from my main tank and instantly cycle it with spare media kept in the main tank at all times. Chances are you are only going to have a few fish in quarantine at a time for a couple of weeks, so it's not like you need a huge amount of beneficial bacteria to handle a huge bioload.

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Attachments

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I think the extra filter idea is very good...keeping fish in it isn't.

Q tanks should be empty and dry when not in use to prevent survival of ich and other contagious diseases.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Q tanks should be empty and dry when not in use to prevent survival of ich and other contagious diseases.
For the most part, the QT ought to be a bare bottom tank, so storing it empty shouldnt be a problem.

As for the survival of ich.....ich is ever present in the water.

As for the OP's question - for HOB filters, its easiest to keep it running on your main tank, UNLESS you use Aquaclear fliters. Then, you can keep the QT's filter media (biomax) in the main tanks filter, so all you have to do is take the bag out and put it in the QT filter.

Transferring water from the main tank is only needed if the tank water chemistry is significantly different from the source water. Otherwise, alll you are transferring is nitrates and dirty water.

callichma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
When I first started cycling my main tank I used Stability. You have to add it every day for 7 days then with every water change, so it doesn't cycle your tank. But while I was using it I checked water parameters every day and they all stayed good. I think if I ever have to quarantine I'll use Stability. I have livebearers and baby Mystery snails so I don't have room for any new fish (which would need a Q tank).

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
When I first started cycling my main tank I used Stability. You have to add it every day for 7 days then with every water change, so it doesn't cycle your tank. But while I was using it I checked water parameters every day and they all stayed good. I think if I ever have to quarantine I'll use Stability. I have livebearers and baby Mystery snails so I don't have room for any new fish (which would need a Q tank).
I don't use an recommend against using products like stability. That being said, it may not be such a bad idea to use such products to maintain water quality for the short time you'd keep a fish in quarantine. HOWEVER, it is sooooooooooooooo easy to maintain cycled media for the job that it's an unnecessary risk IMO. And, I object to paying for what occurs naturally.

callichma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't use an recommend against using products like stability. That being said, it may not be such a bad idea to use such products to maintain water quality for the short time you'd keep a fish in quarantine. HOWEVER, it is sooooooooooooooo easy to maintain cycled media for the job that it's an unnecessary risk IMO. And, I object to paying for what occurs naturally.
I have the Stability because I quit using it when I realized it didn't provide a true cycle. I didn't have success using media from my cycled 28g when I set up my 10g to grow out baby Mystery snails. That might have been because I had too many snails (50 or more) for the bacteria to handle.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I keep spare filters running, I also have a sponge stuffed in my HOB too, loads of spare media. You never know when you'll need it. I just bring the QT out when needed. (I also keep a spare heater too, often overlooked!)

Nitro Junkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Stability works great for QT tanks.Just don't use a UV with it. And remember that some meds will kill all BB,so using a seeded filter,Stability,or TSS maybe pointless.

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I believe that the gram negative antibiotics are the ones (I could def be wrong though). Basically bacteria are either gram positive or gram negative (difference is in the cell wall) and antibiotics typically only work on one of the other... Unfortunately since the cycle bacteria are, well bacteria, some antibiotics will take them out as well.

kwesdog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have been running 2 filters in my tanks as well. My larger tank in addition to the main canister I run an internal fluval U2. Works slick because I can run everything in it thats in my canister if I need too (carbon, prefilter, ceramic, ect..). I also always have sponge filters going in my breeder which work great also.

For the tanks themselves I just use clear stackable buckets/bins.

Harry

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom