How do you guys deal with impeller shaft replacements?

Cherryshrimp420

Hi I have a Eheim 2217 and the impeller shaft breaks on me every year or so. Finding this part has become harder and harder over the years. First, my local fish store stopped supplying it so I had to buy it from Amazon. Now, Amazon is out of stock as well.

Do you guys run into the same problem? Any solutions? I am getting sick of it lol and thinking of ditching Eheim completely after all these years.....

JayAlva

I don't use eheim, I use aquaclear 110s and fluval 207. For those I try to keep spare parts just for when it goes out I don't want to be caught filterless. So I made sure for the cannister to have extra seals which is the most common part that goes bad and for the 110s Its impeller shafts too.

Cherryshrimp420

Dang, that's quite annoying. Here, the impeller shaft is like $20+. If I stock up on 5 of them that's $100+ which is enough for a used Eheim lol. Tired of paying this price for a tiny lil ceramic rod :(

JayAlva

Where are you located? Usa? Europe?

Cherryshrimp420

Canada here, Toronto!

JayAlva

I'm not familiar with what companies are there but I would guess amazon would probably be the best bet to find the replacement parts. I know a couple of places I order from in the states but I don't know what shipping would be like for you if it would make it too expensive or not.

Cherryshrimp420

Yeah, oh well. Thanks for the help though!

GlennO

Do you have other online aquarium stores? I have an Eheim 2215 which uses the same shaft. I haven't had to replace it yet but a quick search reveals a few stores selling them. I'm in Australia though.

Cherryshrimp420

GlennO said:
Do you have other online aquarium stores? I have an Eheim 2215 which uses the same shaft. I haven't had to replace it yet but a quick search reveals a few stores selling them. I'm in Australia though.
Thank, unfortunately they're either out of stock or insanely expensive. I guess just not many aquarists where I live. :(

GlennO

I wonder why it breaks every year. That doesn't sound right.

Cherryshrimp420

GlennO said:
I wonder why it breaks every year. That doesn't sound right.
Hmm it's just something I've noticed with this model. I figured everyone's 2217 would be like this lol. It's weird because my Fluval ran fine without needing any replacements.

Fisch

ebay may be a good alternative for hard to get parts.

GlennO

Cherryshrimp420 said:
Hmm it's just something I've noticed with this model. I figured everyone's 2217 would be like this lol. It's weird because my Fluval ran fine without needing any replacements.
I've had my 2215 nearly 2 years without issue yet. But I read here that it does seem like a weakness. A bamboo skewer does the job apparently, at least temporarily ;) :

Cherryshrimp420

GlennO said:
I've had my 2215 nearly 2 years without issue yet. But I read here that it does seem like a weakness. A bamboo skewer does the job apparently, at least temporarily ;) :

Actually, your reply pointed me in the right direction! I'm gonna just buy some stainless steel rods

SouthAmericanCichlids

You can check their website, and they will usually say all the places you can buy them.

jmaldo

I have been using Eheims (6) on my tanks for years. No problem other than a "Duh" moment I had. I remember my first cleaning. I was dismantling the impeller and the shaft fell out and broke. I now know they are ceramic and very delicate. When cleaning now I am very aware of the issue, I also add a dap of silicone grease when reassembling.
I did have a difficult time finding a replacement. But Amazon to the rescue. I now have a replacement in inventory, just in case.

Good to Go.
Good Luck!

GlennO said:
A bamboo skewer does the job apparently, at least temporarily ;) :

:emoji_thumbsup:Interesting, Thanks for the link.

Cherryshrimp420

Hi all,

Just an update! I got the stainless steel rods and it is currently in use in the Eheim! I have to say, it was very loud when I first turned the filter on, probably due to trapped bubbles and/or the magnet hitting the steel. I had to turn the filter on and off a bunch of times before the noise went away...now its running silently. Fingers crossed lol

Top Bottom