How do you go about shipping fish?

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by e_watson09, Apr 15, 2010.

1. e_watson09Well Known MemberMember

Well one of my balloon mollies had babies and then I have two more preg females so I've decided I want to try to share my wealth and start selling fish online. So what all do you need to do this. I know you have to ship overnight but how can you make them live longer in the bag?

2. jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

Actually you can do standard shipping, just pack with plenty of insulation and use kordons breather bags.

3. e_watson09Well Known MemberMember

will the fish be able to live through that?

4. harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

Yeah, people ship Priority all the time. Some do only overnight shipping. Either will work, although overnight is generally the safer (albeit, more expensive) option.

5. jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

Yes, go to aquabid and look at how most of the auctions do shipping, for expensive purchases I would use 2 day or overnight but if the fish is well packed and using a breather bag and a good water conditioner they can last for a long time. I recall reading on the kordon site that they had great success rates for 1 month in transit with the proper packaging

6. bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

Overnight shipping is definitely safer. Lately, I've been buying some fish on Aquabid and doing priority shipping and they've all made it safe and sound.

The biggest thing is not putting too many fish in a bag, proper packing, proper water conditioner (prime or amquel +), and a lot of people recommend not feeding the fish the day before they're shipped.

We have some very experienced shippers on this forum (a few have sent me fish), so they'll be able to shed light on this subject as well.

7. josh11551Well Known MemberMember

yes i agree with BB. btw when are you shipping mine BB?Monday right?

8. bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

My bags got delayed. They should arrive tomorrow-UPS apparently had an issue:;fru. I'll be shipping Monday. I'm still trying to get a head count (they are not cooperative for head counts) so I know how many bags and how big of a box. They have a low bioload, but I want them all to make it to you safe and sound;D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice