How do you get rid of black beard algae?

Broggy
How do you get rid of black beard algae?
DSC00240.jpeg

DSC00241.jpeg

DSC00242.jpeg

StarGirl
That looks like Staghorn not BBA.

fishnovice33
Yep staghorn. Though they usually come hand in hand and both are caused by co2 issues and flow issues coupled with waste - organic or ammonia. Unfortunately, not a lot of information to go on here. I’ve only had it one as a result of high levels of organic waste.

Sez
Turn the filter off first and Treat with liquid carbon and searchem excel through a pipette ;)

StarGirl
Sez said:
Turn the filter off first and Treat with liquid carbon and searchem excel through a pipette ;)
Only use the amount it says for your tank though. You will have to do small sections a day. ;)

Broggy
oh! thank you. do you dose the whole the tank, or put it directly on the algae?

StarGirl
Broggy said:
oh! thank you. do you dose the whole the tank, or put it directly on the algae?
Turn the filter off and use a syringe or pippet directly on the algae and let it stew for a bit then turn the filter back on. Dont forget to turn it back on like I do....lol........... Only use the dosage it says a day.

JettsPapa
Sez said:
StarGirl said:
Turn the filter off and use a syringe or pippet directly on the algae and let it stew for a bit then turn the filter back on. Dont forget to turn it back on like I do....lol........... Only use the dosage it says a day.
May I ask why the two of you are recommending turning the filter off before dosing? I'm not disagreeing, just curious. Maybe because filters often have carbon, which will absorb the chemical?

StarGirl
JettsPapa said:
May I ask why the two of you are recommending turning the filter off before dosing? I'm not disagreeing, just curious. Maybe because filters often have carbon, which will absorb the chemical?
More of a concentration in one area. Like a spot dose.

Broggy
GlennO
Broggy said:
should I take the sponge filter out?
No need. Just turn it off for 10 min to minimise water movement while you spot dose.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom