How do you get an algae eater to.....

Discussion in 'Algae' started by mistycheri, Mar 28, 2006.

1. mistycheriValued MemberMember

Eat algae wafers? He doesn't seem to be eating at all and I didn't want him to starve so I bought him some algae wafers to suppliment his diet. But he won't have anything to do with em. Could he be sick?

2. vinWell Known MemberMember

What type is he?

3. mistycheriValued MemberMember

4. vinWell Known MemberMember

Can you tell us more about your tank?

size, age, other fish, etc......

5. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

It's possible if he's not eating wafers he's getting enough algae. Try feeding something else. You can feed zucchini, brussel sprouts, spinnach, and romaine lettuce. That's for Otos anyway, I don't know for sure about plecos. The first 3 should be boiled or microwaved in water until they get soft and sink, and lettuce can be put on a veggie clip, which you can buy at most pet or fish stores.

But remember that not eating can mean that sonething's wrong. Please post your ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates, and keep your eye out for signs of disease.

6. JasonWell Known MemberMember

My bristlenose doesn't eat the algae wafers i drop in and he's doing fine, this has been going on for around a month at least. They do eat algae you know, they you may not see.

7. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

If you drop the algae wafer in after lights out he may be more willing to eat it. Most Plecos are nocturnal anyway. If hes not sick he will , in the absence of algae, eat the wafers eventually. He will not starve himself.
    Carol

8. mistycheriValued MemberMember

:'( :'(
    He died. I thought he was just sleeping, he was just laying there on the bottom, his fins waving gently in the current, I nudged him a little with the net, and he was stiff as a board. He must have been sick when I bought him, I had only had him one day when I started this post.
    Thanks for all the advice though I think I will just use the algae remover from the store.

9. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

:'(Sorry about your pleco.

What is the algae remover? If it is a chemical, I would not recommend using it. If you are talking about one of those hand-held or magnet algae scrapers, than of course that is fine. Or, of course, you could get another catfish. But be sure not to get a common plecostamus. They grow way too big.

10. mistycheriValued MemberMember

I bought this stuff called Algae Destroyer Advanced to control the algae. Are you saying not to use it? It says it can be used in aquariums containing live plants and fish, just not any crustaceans.

BTW, I love the names you have your your fish.

11. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Yes, I would not use it. Adding chemicals to the water is stressful to the fish.

And thanks, I like thinking of creative names... ;)
    Uhhhhhhh, what's BTW mean?... :p :-[ ::)

12. mistycheriValued MemberMember

I did a 50% water change yesterday and used the magnets and an aquarium brush (looks like a big pipe cleaner) to clean the algae up, also rinsed out the pump filters and pipe (with the drained fish water to keep the good bateria) and everything looks sparkling clean now.

13. newbie101Well Known MemberMember

BTW means By The Way ;)

14. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

oh heh heh...second time I had to ask for meaning of abreviations...I think all the fish terms have taken up all the room in my brain... :p ::) :D ;)