Eat algae wafers? He doesn't seem to be eating at all and I didn't want him to starve so I bought him some algae wafers to suppliment his diet. But he won't have anything to do with em. Could he be sick?
It's possible if he's not eating wafers he's getting enough algae. Try feeding something else. You can feed zucchini, brussel sprouts, spinnach, and romaine lettuce. That's for Otos anyway, I don't know for sure about plecos. The first 3 should be boiled or microwaved in water until they get soft and sink, and lettuce can be put on a veggie clip, which you can buy at most pet or fish stores.
But remember that not eating can mean that sonething's wrong. Please post your ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates, and keep your eye out for signs of disease.
If you drop the algae wafer in after lights out he may be more willing to eat it. Most Plecos are nocturnal anyway. If hes not sick he will , in the absence of algae, eat the wafers eventually. He will not starve himself.
He died. I thought he was just sleeping, he was just laying there on the bottom, his fins waving gently in the current, I nudged him a little with the net, and he was stiff as a board. He must have been sick when I bought him, I had only had him one day when I started this post.
Thanks for all the advice though I think I will just use the algae remover from the store.
What is the algae remover? If it is a chemical, I would not recommend using it. If you are talking about one of those hand-held or magnet algae scrapers, than of course that is fine. Or, of course, you could get another catfish. But be sure not to get a common plecostamus. They grow way too big.
I did a 50% water change yesterday and used the magnets and an aquarium brush (looks like a big pipe cleaner) to clean the algae up, also rinsed out the pump filters and pipe (with the drained fish water to keep the good bateria) and everything looks sparkling clean now.