How do you feed your mystery snails with other tank mates?

LinasPlantLife

I think most people that have mystery snails probably keep them with other tank mates and while researching about this before getting my snails, I never came across anyone having any issues feeding them alongside fish. But this is becoming a big problem for me. I don't have issues feeding them vegetables, because my betta and frogs leave that alone, but if I try to feed shrimp pellets or algae wafers, both betta and frogs will pick at the food, and the snails end up getting tossed around and hiding in their shells. Plus, this results in bloating for my betta, and I'd be concerned the same thing would happen to my frogs.

I've read that mysteries need this food mainly over the vegetables (and it's the easiest way for me to make sure they're getting enough food vs. hoping they pick up leftovers. I really don't think there's that many leftovers since I tong feed the frogs and I feed flakes - the only food that floats everywhere along the bottom - one day out of the week), so I'm trying to feed the snails using a breeder box. I need to have the breeder box just at the waterline or slightly over it. Otherwise, one frog has already slipped into the box. So far, only one snail has discovered it can climb over into the box, but overnight it never exited. Just stayed at the waterline and eventually floated. I ended up having to remove them from the box when I took it out. The expanded shrimp wafers inside had a film over them, and removing the box resulted in the debris floating everywhere in the tank (My betta ate some of it. Is this okay? How long should I be leaving food in the tank?).

As for the rest of the snails (I have three more), should I place them into the box myself so they can eventually learn this is where the food is? But is this too stressful for them? And is it even possible for them to learn about entering the box for food and learning how to get out of it? Before I bought the breeder box, I tried using a plastic cup the same way and the snails just climbed up to the waterline and never left it for hours. Advice about what I should do about this situation is appreciated.

BigManAquatics

Most of what my mysteries eat is whatever food the fish didn't get. Or with spinach i just leave it in the tank in a clip until it is gone.

Upvote 0

LinasPlantLife

Most of what my mysteries eat is whatever food the fish didn't get. Or with spinach i just leave it in the tank in a clip until it is gone.
I would just feed vegetables, but I thought a mystery snail’s diet shouldn’t primarily be vegetables...? I still would like to feed them the algae wafers and shrimp pellets but as things stand right now, I have to place them in the breeder box and take them out of it.

Upvote 0

Candace

I think most people that have mystery snails probably keep them with other tank mates and while researching about this before getting my snails, I never came across anyone having any issues feeding them alongside fish. But this is becoming a big problem for me. I don't have issues feeding them vegetables, because my betta and frogs leave that alone, but if I try to feed shrimp pellets or algae wafers, both betta and frogs will pick at the food, and the snails end up getting tossed around and hiding in their shells. Plus, this results in bloating for my betta, and I'd be concerned the same thing would happen to my frogs.

I've read that mysteries need this food mainly over the vegetables (and it's the easiest way for me to make sure they're getting enough food vs. hoping they pick up leftovers. I really don't think there's that many leftovers since I tong feed the frogs and I feed flakes - the only food that floats everywhere along the bottom - one day out of the week), so I'm trying to feed the snails using a breeder box. I need to have the breeder box just at the waterline or slightly over it. Otherwise, one frog has already slipped into the box. So far, only one snail has discovered it can climb over into the box, but overnight it never exited. Just stayed at the waterline and eventually floated. I ended up having to remove them from the box when I took it out. The expanded shrimp wafers inside had a film over them, and removing the box resulted in the debris floating everywhere in the tank (My betta ate some of it. Is this okay? How long should I be leaving food in the tank?).

As for the rest of the snails (I have three more), should I place them into the box myself so they can eventually learn this is where the food is? But is this too stressful for them? And is it even possible for them to learn about entering the box for food and learning how to get out of it? Before I bought the breeder box, I tried using a plastic cup the same way and the snails just climbed up to the waterline and never left it for hours. Advice about what I should do about this situation is appreciated.

I'm planning to use these glass "pots" that attach to the sides of the aquarium. I'll be putting it up close to the surface to discourage my greedy eaters from getting to the pellets. I know others have had success with this method.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QGM3BHT/ref=ox_sc_act_title_7?smid=A3HWCHU0SK7JVL&psc=1

Upvote 0

LinasPlantLife

I'm planning to use these glass "pots" that attach to the sides of the aquarium. I'll be putting it up close to the surface to discourage my greedy eaters from getting to the pellets. I know others have had success with this method.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QGM3BHT/ref=ox_sc_act_title_7?smid=A3HWCHU0SK7JVL&psc=1
Thank you for the suggestion. Would this be different than using the breeder box? So far my snails haven’t figured out how to crawl inside without the rim being below the water low enough for my betta and frogs to get inside, too.

Upvote 0

Candace

Thank you for the suggestion. Would this be different than using the breeder box? So far my snails haven’t figured out how to crawl inside without the rim being below the water low enough for my betta and frogs to get inside, too.

I would say to keep it low enough for the water to completely cover and fill it and they should hopefully check it out. But before that have you tried feeding right after you turn out the lights? It's not something that worked well for me because I do have bottom feeders as well but it could work with a frog and betta.

Upvote 0

LinasPlantLife

I would say to keep it low enough for the water to completely cover and fill it and they should hopefully check it out. But before that have you tried feeding right after you turn out the lights? It's not something that worked well for me because I do have bottom feeders as well but it could work with a frog and betta.
I ended up removing the breeder box because my betta was getting injured on something. I thought about feeding after the lights are turned off but it probably wouldn’t matter because my betta is awake all the time (seriously, I’ve never seen him sleep! Maybe for like less than a minute but that’s it. My schedule shifts a lot so I’m awake sometimes during the day and sometimes at night, so this is how I can tell). My frogs are awake a lot as well, so at this point I’m thinking the only way I could feed my snails the pellets and wafers is to either transfer them to another tank or test out a rounded plastic cup in this tank.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
10 Gallon Tank Feeding mystery snail
  • BettaBuddies0621
  • Snails
Replies
Views
mattgirl
  • Question
  • ferg42995
  • Snails