how do you empty out 1/2, 2/3 of your tank..?

DEADFISH

Reaction score
take a bucket? and go back and forth to the sink/bathtub...that's what I've been doing and it's a pain!
suggestions?!?!

ecnaj143

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Cyphin it out I guess? I have a 55gal that I change 25% once a month and I walk back and forth from the sink. You get used to it. I use a big bowl to do it.

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
There are a variety of siphons available. I bought a 5 gallon bucket from Big Al's online, too, so I know its clean and never been used for anything else. For my small tanks, I use a smaller bucket I have. To replace the water in the smaller tanks, I use a clean, previously unused, plastic disposable cup. To replace the water in the larger tanks, I fill the bucket and use a 2 quart clean, previously unused pitcher to dip into the bucket and pour into the tank. Never use anything that has been used for something else - anything you use in an aquarium should be clean and free of all chemicals and/or detergent residue and should only be used for the aquariums.

ecnaj143

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, my 10g and 20g are right on my bar counter so it takes 1-2 scoops for those and 3-4 visits to the 55g. Its not that bad.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Use either something like Python or a regular siphon tube. If your tank is small a regular siphon tube would suffice. If you go to any fish store, they should have some kind of siphon tube - regular ones are very cheap. Once you have it, you siphon the water out from the bottom of your tank. This way you vacuum the gravel and remove uneaten food and fish wastes from there.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
LOL, yup Just siphon the water (using the siphon tube) into the bucket and then pour the water from the bucket into the sink. Or, if your siphon tube's hose is long enough, you can siphon the water out of your tank directly to the sink. Only remember that if your tank is sitting below the level of your sink, it won't work.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom