How Do You Dry Killifish Eggs

phantom

Reaction score
recently I've took an interest in killifish and wanted to breed them for profit!!!
I looked a while on how to dry them but could not find anything on it, please respond thanks

DutchAquarium

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
your not really drying the killifish eggs. Your going to want to keep the eggs in some damp peatmoss for a few months until you are ready to hatch them out.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You move the eggs to damp sand or peat moss, and this is how you can ship them. The eggs take a few months, depending on species, to incubate out of water then when the time is up you add the peat moss and eggs into some water and the eggs hatch.

Keep in mind that not all killis need to go through a dormancy stage. Some species will spawn and the eggs will hatch just fine w/o being removed from the water.

OP
phantom

phantom

Reaction score
DutchAquarium said:
your not really drying the killifish eggs. Your going to want to keep the eggs in some damp peatmoss for a few months until you are ready to hatch them out.
could you further elaborate?

when I ship them I keep them in damp sand or peat moss?

DutchAquarium

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes, damp sand or peat moss. The eggs depending on the species might be in the moss for 3 months.

OP
phantom

phantom

Reaction score
thanks everyone for the info!!!

DutchAquarium said:
Yes, damp sand or peat moss. The eggs depending on the species might be in the moss for 3 months.
are annuals or non annuals best for breeding/keeping eggs 'dry' for longer

OP
phantom

phantom

Reaction score
CanadianFishFan said:
I'm so interested in this after KingOfDIY did his! So cool how they do it in the wild.
lol same that's one of the reasons I want to breed them that and I have to give credit to the members of this forum who helped me make the decision to breed them

DutchAquarium

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Non Annual killifish don't have a drying out period. The eggs take usually 3ish weeks to hatch. annual kilifish need to be kept in peat for about 3 months.

OP
phantom

phantom

Reaction score
DutchAquarium said:
Non Annual killifish don't have a drying out period. The eggs take usually 3ish weeks to hatch. annual kilifish need to be kept in peat for about 3 months.
so for shipping to customers annuals are best

New Threads