How Do You Dry Killifish Eggs

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by phantom, Apr 24, 2018.

1. phantomValued MemberMember

recently I've took an interest in killifish and wanted to breed them for profit!!! :)
    I looked a while on how to dry them but could not find anything on it, please respond thanks :)

2. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

your not really drying the killifish eggs. Your going to want to keep the eggs in some damp peatmoss for a few months until you are ready to hatch them out.

3. DemeterFishlore VIPMember

You move the eggs to damp sand or peat moss, and this is how you can ship them. The eggs take a few months, depending on species, to incubate out of water then when the time is up you add the peat moss and eggs into some water and the eggs hatch.

Keep in mind that not all killis need to go through a dormancy stage. Some species will spawn and the eggs will hatch just fine w/o being removed from the water.

4. phantomValued MemberMember

could you further elaborate?

when I ship them I keep them in damp sand or peat moss?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2018
  5. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

Yes, damp sand or peat moss. The eggs depending on the species might be in the moss for 3 months.

6. phantomValued MemberMember

thanks everyone for the info!!! :) :) :)

are annuals or non annuals best for breeding/keeping eggs 'dry' for longer

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2018
  7. CanadianFishFanWell Known MemberMember

Im so interested in this after KingOfDIY did his! So cool how they do it in the wild.

8. phantomValued MemberMember

lol same that's one of the reasons I want to breed them that and I have to give credit to the members of this forum who helped me make the decision to breed them

9. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

Non Annual killifish don't have a drying out period. The eggs take usually 3ish weeks to hatch. annual kilifish need to be kept in peat for about 3 months.

10. phantomValued MemberMember

so for shipping to customers annuals are best

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice