How Do You Dose Prime? Is Overdosing A Big Deal?

1. B

BlackOsprey Member Member

This seems like a dumb question when the bottle comes with instructions, but I have one issue: this stuff seems like it's really concentrated, and my tanks are not even close to the size that the instructions talk about.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who just has tanks that are 20 gallons or below and wants to use Prime. So how much Prime do y'all use per gallon and how do you go about measuring that out properly?

Also, how much of an issue is it if you overdose on prime? I don't wanna hurt my fish by accident.

2. K

Keith83 Member Member

They make a small bottle that has a flip up dropper. Then its two drop per gallon. If you can find that size just save the container and refill it from the larger size bottles when it runs out. I guess an eye dropper will be pretty close for that dose too.

3. NYFishGuy

NYFishGuy Member Member

I had a few droppers from pet meds that are 5ml or 1 ml, you may find you have something similar laying around

4. Fashooga

Fashooga Well Known Member Member

I don’t use prime, I use stress coat. The instructions say 10ml per gallon. I use a spray bottle that I got a a Wal-Mart and one squeeze is 10ml.

So I just pour the whole thing into the squeeze bottle and each squeeze of the handle equals to 1 gallon.

5. W

Wraithen Well Known Member Member

On the small bottle, when you get a new one, dont remove the foil seal, just puncture it a bit. It helps to slow down the prime.

Triple doses of prime are relatively safe, so a small overdose wont hurt anything. When I had a 10 gallon, I started with the small bottle and did the drop method. Then I found a farm store that sold syringes. You can get them at any pharmacy also. They may look at you funny, but they will usually sell them to you.

6. wodesorel

wodesorel Member Member

I poke the foil seal with an embroidery needle and it lets me dose single drops.

The one time I forgot the seal had popped off, and without looking I squeezed a half bottle into my 20 gallon. HUGE water change for safety, but there was absolutely no effects. Seachem's website at the time said it was tested safe at 100x a normal dose. I would never use it at that, but I never worry about a little extra!

7. JLeeM

JLeeM Well Known Member Member

The very first bottle of liquid ferts I bought forever ago had a little blue measuring cap on it. It has a mark for 1, 5, and 10 mL. So I saved the cap and use it for all my measurements. I dose 1mL per 10 gallons.

8. DarkOne

DarkOne Well Known Member Member

I use a 5ml and 10ml syringe with a 4" blunt luer lock needle for Prime and ferts. Both can be bought off Amazon.

9. 8

83jase Member Member

2 drops covers 4ltr or gal for prime you dose up-to 5x recommend amount for 24hr protection in extreme cases

10. bgclarke

bgclarke Well Known Member Member

All of my tanks are 20 gallons and under.
    I have on of the small Prime bottles that I refill from a larger one.
    I dose 2 drops per gallon (full tank volume) when I do water changes.