Question How do YOU do large water changes when using RO

ppls1000

Reaction score
I am wondering how different people do large water changes when RO is involved. I am not asking how to do it, I am wondering how you do it. I currently use 50/50 RO to tap water on my 55 gallon tank and I just use 5 gallon buckets. I am looking at a 125 gallon tank for sale but before I buy it I would like to have it figured out how I will do water changes. Currently my RO water is down stairs and doing 50/50 so needing 5-6 buckets of RO water taken upstairs to be mixed with tap water seems like a lot of work so that is why I am asking how others do it.

My other thought to this would be to just find fish that can live in my tap water but I'd rather not go that route yet if I don't have to.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I make 100ishltr ROwater each week but I do it on a Monday or Tuesday and store it in 12ltr containers, if you did the same you could carry one up as you go, I don't know what your setup is but couldn't you produce the ro up stairs

OP
ppls1000

ppls1000

Reaction score
richiep said:
I make 100ishltr ROwater each week but I do it on a Monday or Tuesday and store it in 12ltr containers, if you did the same you could carry one up as you go, I don't know what your setup is but couldn't you produce the ro up stairs
I could produce it upstairs but storage is very nice downstairs. I have a roughly 20 gallon tote that I fill with RO water to use as needed. Right now I just carry two five gallon pails upstairs and I can do my main tank and shrimp tank no problem. If I don't buy this 125 gallon tank it's no big deal. But if I buy the 125 I will need to figure something out. Or only keep fish that can live in my tap water.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How about using a water pump the same spec as a heating pump, is there a chance you can pump it up, just thinking off the top here to see if it sparks something good for you

OP
ppls1000

ppls1000

Reaction score
Yeah that is an option too. I'm so indecisive. I want it to be somewhat easy.

I mean the easiest option is just doing tap water only. If I remember correctly my tap is a pH of 8.0 or so after 24 hours.

Wakeman

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
wouldn't a really long hose work out of your R/O downstairs? just spitballing here

New Threads