How do you do Fish-in Cycling?

fireproofcats
Hey guys,
I found out recently that my little brother wanted to follow in his sisters footsteps and have a goldfish aquarium of his own. I was very excited, and the tank looks big enough and is decorated well. Unfortunately, I found out he did not properly cycle his tank before getting the fish. He let the filter run for a couple weeks with some snails, but we did a water test and the ammonia looks 1-2ppm. I looked into removing the fish, but he's attached to them and there's no where we could really put them. I don't have another tank I could put them in, and local pet-stores/friends wont take them either. I looked online and they said that it was possible to cycle with fish in, just more difficult. I have Searchem Prime conditioner, and read that it is very useful during this process. I don't want to hurt the fish more than they've already been through. Could someone help me with the correct steps?
The tank is 40gal, 2 medium goldfish and one small one.
Water parameters are:
Ammonia: 1-2ppm
PH: 7.4
Nitrites: 0 ppm
Nitrates: 0 ppm

Myyyman
Goldfish are very hardy, so this should be relatively easy. But, if you notice that the fish are gasping for air and/or have red gills, these are signs of ammonia poisoning, and a sign that there is too much ammonia in the tank, hence it is time for you to do a water change. Basically, the answer to your question is: Lots, of water changes. Keep the ammonia and nitrites as low as possible while it cycles.

Dunk2
fireproofcats said:
Hey guys,
I found out recently that my little brother wanted to follow in his sisters footsteps and have a goldfish aquarium of his own. I was very excited, and the tank looks big enough and is decorated well. Unfortunately, I found out he did not properly cycle his tank before getting the fish. He let the filter run for a couple weeks with some snails, but we did a water test and the ammonia looks 1-2ppm. I looked into removing the fish, but he's attached to them and there's no where we could really put them. I don't have another tank I could put them in, and local pet-stores/friends wont take them either. I looked online and they said that it was possible to cycle with fish in, just more difficult. I have Searchem Prime conditioner, and read that it is very useful during this process. I don't want to hurt the fish more than they've already been through. Could someone help me with the correct steps?
The tank is 40gal, 2 medium goldfish and one small one.
Water parameters are:
Ammonia: 1-2ppm
PH: 7.4
Nitrites: 0 ppm
Nitrates: 0 ppm
Test your water parameters daily and be prepared to do daily water changes to keep the combined level of ammonia and nitrites below 0.50 ppm and preferably at 0.25 ppm.

fireproofcats
Myyyman said:
Goldfish are very hardy, so this should be relatively easy. But, if you notice that the fish are gasping for air and/or have red gills, these are signs of ammonia poisoning, and a sign that there is too much ammonia in the tank, hence it is time for you to do a water change. Basically, the answer to your question is: Lots, of water changes. Keep the ammonia and nitrites as low as possible while it cycles.
Thank you! I test every day, and do daily water changes
Dunk2 said:
Test your water parameters daily and be prepared to do daily water changes to keep the combined level of ammonia and nitrites below 0.50 ppm and preferably at 0.25 ppm.
Thank you! I will continue lots of tests and water changes

Latest threads

Top Bottom