How do you dispose of your deceased fish?

1. jsmaples Initiate Member

:( I'm just getting started and I was just curious as to how you "dispose" of your fish when they go "fin-up"?  I hate flushing them down the toilet, but I'm not sure what else to do.  I've gone through quite a few in the start-up process and it's a little depressing. 

2. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

Most here are put in the compost heap.
    A few, like my 11 year old, 16 inch pacu, have a grave.

Dino

3. Miss Mouse Well Known Member Member

i bury them.. I cant bare to just flush or chuck them :-[

4. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Go under the flowers ;)
    Carol

5. BettaBuddy ~ Miley Well Known Member Member

i live in a appt so i can't bury him if he were to die so i have to flush em.... :'( Aquamarine :'( Happy Chef :'( Skittles
    i actually had to throw aqua into the dumpster sad sad sad Miley :(

6. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

I have a betta burial ground and I have decided that if one should die during bad weather while it cannot be buried, then they get very well wrapped and put in a can in the freezer until thaw. No flushing for me.

Rose
    :(

7. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

Mine go under the rocks in the rock garden. There is a place under a large, pretty rock where all my fishies are buried.

8. BettaBuddy ~ Miley Well Known Member Member

that actually a good idea - my mom has OCD though and would freak if i did that! lol Miley

9. Italy Gal Initiate Member

i scoop them up with a net, and flush them.

10. AlfaBetta Member Member

For me it's either the trash or the toilet. Most of the time it's the trash. I think flushing down the toilet is a more clean method.

11. Eskielvr Member Member

Mine get buried at sea (aka, flushed down the toilet). At least I'm not like my sis in law though, she wanted to get rid of her fish and was going to give them to me. I couldn't get down to her place for a while so as soon as her filter media turned 2 weeks old she decided they had to go. She wasn't going to buy more filter media and before I could get them, she flushed them all, alive. :mad: My filters have gone weeks without being changed and it never hurt anything so I don't know why she was so antsy about it.

12. Tom Fishlore VIP Member

That is terrible.
    I do the ol' scoop-'n-flush or you could say they take the porcelain express to a better place. I can't get enough courage to bury them with having to bury 2 of my grandparents already. :'(
    Tom

13. emilai333 Member Member

I flush... Part of me can't stand it and would rather bury, part of me protests that they are aquatic and even though sewers are not rivers or lakes... it IS water, which is where a fish belongs. Plus I have a fear of leaving dead pets behind to be dug up by a future resident of my home... whether simply uncovered or completely mutilated. Its a totally psychological thing that makes me feel that if something has been buried, it should stay that way, or be dug up by someone who respects it. The water makes me feel as if maybe the fish will be decomposed and dispersed naturally before being desicrated or what have you. I choose to hope that it is true.

14. guppygranny Member Member

If the fish was obviously diseased it is dropped in the toilet with a cup of bleach, to avoid contaminating any local wildlife that might dig it up if I buried it. If the death was by natural causes, age, accidents, or murder my small fish are tucked into my houseplant and garden pots. (Knock on wood) I haven't had to deal with any large fish death yet, but I probably would bury them in my mulch pile, which I keep covered with wire mesh. Guppygranny

15. Teresa Initiate Member

What comes from the water should go back, So yes I flush.

16. lolagurl Well Known Member Member

Then why do you put them in the trash if you think the toilet is cleaner...wouldnt they stink in the trash

17. Jeffhvacr02 Initiate Member

I just flush the smaller ones and the larger ones I burry in the woods behind my place :-\

18. Jimold Well Known Member Member

As the aquarium fish said to nemo... all drains lead to the sea!

19. kisatsky Initiate Member

I never heard of or would consider bury a fish. But the bury them in a plant idea does make sense.

20. Alasse Well Known Member Member

Mine go into a plastic bag and into the rubbish bin