How do you decide what filter size you need?

Jequila

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've been using the filter that came with the tank (second hand stuff) since I got it a year ago, but my betta seems to have trouble with the current. He's found the dead spots in the tank where there is little to no current, so I kind of though all was well. Until yesterday when I finally found the sticker with the specs on it! It's 500L/hour and in a small 50L tank I asked in the store and they said 200L/hour for a 50L tank would be fine, but it depends on how many fish you have and what they are. Eventually I'd like to tank to have the two cories that are in there now, plus three guppies and maybe some neons if it doesn't overload the tank. Should I go for the 200L/hour or the next step up which is 380L/hour?

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You should look up how to rig a diffuser in the DIY part of the forum, and reconsider putting community fish in with your betta.

(I am assuming that even a strong filter can be diffused?)

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Oh, well, in that case, your filter's perfect. You want about 10x flow rate. Don't downgrade.

Jequila

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Oh really? Dang. I was hoping to get something a little quieter and smaller in size.
While I'm here, would putting some neons in with the three guppies and the two cories be overstocking?

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have neons, guppies, and cories together... they work fine. Cories are recommended for a minimum of 20 gallons, though, and no way would I put them in a 13 gallon tank.

If you want a different filter, you could get an aqua clear (AC30). Those are really popular.

Last edited:

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
For what it's worth, 200L/hr would be fine as a minimum (generally recommended to have at least 4x turnover per hour)

If your current filter has a spray bar, you could try drilling out the holes to soften the current (same as putting your finger over the end of a hose, the smaller the hole, the higher the pressure)

As far as which is better, the more filtration the better, but at the same point, you won't be keeping salmon that like to swim against strong currents

You could check out http://aqadvisor.com, this is great at figuring out bio-loads and the effect on your filter. But should only be used as a very loose guide to stocking.

Aqadvisor allows you to enter your tank details, filter details, and livestock quantities.

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Like was said before I wouldn't put a cory in anything smaller than a 20 because you also have to remember they like to be in groups of I believe around 6 or more.

general rule of thumb for filtration:
canister: 5x flow rate
HOB: 8-10x flow rate
Agreed.

lanlesnee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What ever filter you put in the 20L for the Betta try to limit the flow as much as possible. Betta's or at least mine don't seem to like current at all. I have a lot of luck with the filters that hang on the inside of the tank. They seem to be easy to set up to filter well without much current.
My 3 of 5 my Betta tanks have this type of filter and the Betta's seem to love it. They are very active and play in this set up. The other 2 Betta tanks I have are the HOB filter's, but diffused.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom