How do you deal with brown algae everywhere on your plants

Nickguy5467

Well Known
you cant see it very well because my phone's camera sucks i guess.. but i have no idea. its all over my dwarf sag. on my sword. tons on my anubias.. i dont even know if that moss is alive. feeling hopeless here

edit: i guess whats yellow is actually brown? stupid camera

IMG_20200804_141306569.jpg

OP
Nickguy5467

Nickguy5467

Well Known
AquaticQueen said:
Maybe try decreasing you light schedule? Nerite snails would keep the algae away.
how do i do that with plants? not sure what schedule they need. at first i just did 9-5 with sunny mode on the finnex planted plus , thats where all the algae came from. i now have it just running on the 24 hourish mode but i have the lights on a timer so they dim on their own . on in the morning and shut off at night as to not bother me come bed time :p

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Nickguy5467 said:
how do i do that with plants? not sure what schedule they need. at first i just did 9-5 with sunny mode on the finnex planted plus , thats where all the algae came from. i now have it just running on the 24 hourish mode but i have the lights on a timer so they dim on their own . on in the morning and shut off at night as to not bother me come bed time :p
You could try decreasing the time the light is on by a few hours.

AquaticQueen

Well Known
It won't disappear, but the less light there is, the harder it will be for it to grow, so there probably still will be some. Increasing your water change schedule might decrease the algae too. Algae feeds off nitrates.

OP
Nickguy5467

Nickguy5467

Well Known
ive been doing 50 or more every saturday as ive been using thrive and it suggests it anyway so. say this works how do i get rid of whats already there? buy some snails?

AquaticQueen

Well Known
You could do another 15-25% water change in the middle of the week, but it probably wouldn't help too much.
Nerites would eat all the algae. I would recommend getting some of those.

OP
Nickguy5467

Nickguy5467

Well Known
AquaticQueen said:
You could do another 15-25% water change in the middle of the week, but it probably wouldn't help too much.
Nerites would eat all the algae. I would recommend getting some of those.
mk. ill give that a shot. yay more 2week QTs sigh

OP
Nickguy5467

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Nickguy5467 said:
mk. ill give that a shot. yay more 2week QTs sigh
my tank seems to be stuck at 81 it even reached 83 last night. ive tested with two thermometers. might be to hot for nerites. ive read they only deal with 72-78. im surprised even my fish are alive

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Nickguy5467 said:
my tank seems to be stuck at 81 it even reached 83 last night. ive tested with two thermometers. might be to hot for nerites. ive read they only deal with 72-78. im surprised even my fish are alive
Do you know if things will cool down in the fall?

RonP

I have nerites thriving in my 55 cichlid tank at 81F. 5 in there alive since January.
Looks like a lot of brown algae. You can take out rocks and decos, soak in hydrogen peroxide, brush off remnants, rinse, replace.

OP
Nickguy5467

Nickguy5467

Well Known
AquaticQueen said:
Do you know if things will cool down in the fall?
i hope so. im conflicted on the origin . because summer happened the same time i set up my new tank.
RonP said:
I have nerites thriving in my 55 cichlid tank at 81F. 5 in there alive since January.
Looks like a lot of brown algae. You can take out rocks and decos, soak in hydrogen peroxide, brush off remnants, rinse, replace.
im assuming chem dips for plants are bad idea. maybe just trimming them and hoping for the best?

OP
Nickguy5467

Nickguy5467

Well Known
RonP said:
well thats good to know. been worried about my fish cooking for weeks now

New Threads