How do you convince your parents to get a parrot?

CichlidFreak7000

I really want a beginner parrot but my parents don't trust me to care for them. I understand why tho because I'm not very obedient and don't always do what I'm supposed to do especially if I know its not worth it. But I know that something like a cockatiel or budgie, easy to care for and rewarding will get me to do my part. My mom amd dad still won't let me even after I gave them a lot of thinking and cool down time. I might settle for a finch or canary if I have to but I really hope I can get a rewarding companion like a tiel or budgie maybe even conure or parrotlet.

CaptainAquatics

I really want a beginner parrot but my parents don't trust me to care for them. I understand why tho because I'm not very obedient and don't always do what I'm supposed to do especially if I know its not worth it. But I know that something like a cockatiel or budgie, easy to care for and rewarding will get me to do my part. My mom amd dad still won't let me even after I gave them a lot of thinking and cool down time. I might settle for a finch or canary if I have to but I really hope I can get a rewarding companion like a tiel or budgie maybe even conure or parrotlet.

I would make a slide show presentation on how to care for a parrot, make it detailed and spell checked to show them that you have done your research, include a feeding, cleaning, and playtime schedule for the parrot that you will follow, them follow it if they do let you have a parrot. If you have a friend who has a parrot maybe ask them if you could pet-sit their parrot for like a week or two to show your parents that you could do it.

AngryRainbow

This probably isn't going to be the exact answer/advise you're hoping for. But I would start by showing your parents you can be responsible. Try to be more obedient, take up extra chores, etc. I have a younger sister who I would describe in the same manner you described yourself and there have been numerous times she's begged and pleaded for animals because "this time will be different". But they all turn out the same, she loses interest after a month. So I understand where your parents are coming from.

Also, make sure everyone is okay with the noise level of the birds. Even if you are the sole caretaker of the bird, they can still be loud and will have some effect on everyone in the house. I have never been a "bird person", but my fiance convinced me and we got two cockatiels. I love them and would never consider rehoming them for this reason, but it is very bothersome how loud they are. I have frequent headaches and if they want to be heard they can be through multiple areas of the house. It can be pretty consuming to be surrounded by unwelcome noise, so that may be another reason your parents are hesitant

CichlidFreak7000

Thanks, ill try both of those suggestions

MomeWrath

One of the biggest considerations in getting a bird - especially a parrot - is their lifespan. You have to be able to commit to the whole life of the bird, not just that you have time for it right now. Easier said than done if you are living with your parents. I'm presuming you are still in (high) school. If you have plans in the future for college, who's going to take the bird then? You won't be able to keep it in a dorm. What about if a partner or a child enters the picture?
Birds, especially something like a conure or an amazon, but not much less for a cockatiel, require a lot of attention and face time. They are really not an ideal pet for a person who has full-time school or a full-time job or especially a combination of those two. Sorry I probably sound like your parents, but I've had the conversation with my daughter numerous times. She is super responsible and almost always does as she's told, but I still won't let her get a bird! At 17 she can't commit to a 25+ year pet because at 17 she cannot plan that far ahead yet.

idk

how I convinced my parents was showing them I was "responsible enough" for a bird by bird-sitting my dad's friends one. Now I have 2 alexandrines lol - the female is 6 and the male is 1 now.
they are noisy buggers though so try and make sure you get a bird with noise levels relevant to the sort of area you live in and people you live with. if your parents say yes, make sure you research their specific needs first and how much time and attention they will need to be mentally stimulated, trained, healthy and happy! Another tip is to try get a bird from someone or someplace where you can interact with them first to see if you like them and get along well good luck!!

Inner10

I hate birds, so if I was your father good luck convincing me.

86 ssinit

For me as a parent the problem would be do I want a bird and not you. Because when you lose interest it becomes mine. Most birds live for 10+ years. So you would have to get your parents to want a bird! That’s your chore. Get them onto the idea. I bought my wife love birds and those were the last for me.

MacZ

I generally stopped giving kids advice how to convince their parents to get a certain pet.
Because honestly: In most instances I've seen when kids tried to get advice for this, they had a lot of pets already and had previously at least one thread opened here where they asked why their tanks are so catastrophically failing.

Sorry, OP. No advice here but: Get your tank running effortlessly before you get another pet that will need far more time and attention than a fish tank.

SixThreeOh

If you have to ask your parents for a bird, you shouldn't have a bird.

emeraldking

I don´t know how you are as a person. So, I can´t tell you what to do or not. But I do like to say from experience that a lot of children and youngsters can be very enthusiastic about pets. But I also have experienced quite often that after a while they loose interest. It´s really important to take it seriously when getting a pet. And most important to think it over if the lifespan of the pet is quite long. For it´s not a throw away thing after the interest in them gets lost.

But I do think it´s beautiful if you start young to have a pet or multiple ones if the passion will go on. But if it´s a temporary enthusiasm then please don´t get one.

ProudPapa

When my daughter was younger she begged for a horse. I told her that when she started taking care of the animals she was already responsible for we'd talk about it. That never happened, so I figured she didn't really want the horse all that bad. Get my point?

CichlidFreak7000

I guess you guys are right, maybe I should rethink my decision

faydout

Start by asking for a tiger, then "allow" yourself to be negotiated down to just a bird.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Fishlover245735
  • Rabbit
Replies
Views
Fishlover245735
Replies
Views
NBettas83
Replies
Views
SouthAmericanCichlids