How Do You Clip Budgie Wings?

Lizzy23

my friend is moving and leaving her budgies behind which is good news for me cause I have always wanted to give those poor little guys a better cage and toys to chew. but my room has open fish tanks and heat lamps so I don't want them flying around to much, so until I redesign my room I want to clip there wings so they can't hurt themselves as easily but I looked up how to do it and it seems that everything says something different so does anyone have any suggestions? also don't worry once my room is better fit for birds I will not clip them anymore so they can fly around.

FerretsLover

You have to gently put I'm in a towel, cover all him like a bugdito, and then stick slooowly one wing, clip only the first 5 or 6 feathers (the longest ones from the outside) but not too close to his second row, maybe 1/2 inch to it. You can also leave the first longest, and then clip after, if they are use to clean themselves it can lead to depression. I'll try to find a youtube video for you.

Oh and once you clip them, they only grow back at the next sheeding, a couple of months later.

TheGeeko

My tip would also be to put them in a towel! Don't trim the feathers as short as you would think because they should be able to make a safe landing opposed to just falling to the floor. Birds should really only have 1-2 molts per year and the trimmed feathers will fall out once they have their next molt. In my opinion not trimming the flight feathers is best but I think it is smart to do this for the bird's safety in your situation. They won't be happy about it but will calm down eventually (no bird likes to be held in a towel by force). If you have a local bird specialty store near you, try calling and see if they will do it for you. There is one in my area that trims nails and wings. If there is a pair of them it is very likely they have bonded with each other and will be a little less friendly with you. If they try to bite you don't be scared and put them away. If they learn that they can bite you to get out of things, they will continue to do it. That was definitely one of my first bird mistakes ahaha. Hope this helps!!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • LHAquatics
  • Bird
Replies
Views
AquaDaBetta
  • BananaBean
  • Bird
Replies
Views
BananaBean