How do you clean your hands before you put them in your tank?

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
We started talking about this, but I didn't want to completely hijack the other thread.

How should you clean your hands before putting them in your tank? I assume that washing with soap is a bad idea? I just scrub mine with water, but I don't always remember to do even that much.

lanlesnee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I use dish soap, but I rinse very very well. I get as high up on my arms as I think I will need. I don't use any kind of soap that has moisturizers in it.

I think soap is a safer bet than just water. I think there are oils (natural and from foods) with won't come off with just water.

izzyfishfarmer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i always wash with dish soap wait like 20 mins then use hot water and scrub hands together

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I give mine a good looking over and go at it.....

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sometimes I rinse first, sometimes I don't. I usually just "dive in" unless I have been using cleaning products or lotions, etc. I have some Aqua Gloves from Coralife that I can use if I really need to get into a tank if I have something on my hands... they're great overall, don't get me wrong, but not so good if you're doing something where manual dexterity is necessary. The rubber on the hand part is very thick.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
harpua2002 said:
Sometimes I rinse first, sometimes I don't. I usually just "dive in" unless I have been using cleaning products or lotions, etc.
Same here.

lorabell

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
LOL>>>>I haven't used any hand creams or anything nice since I started with these tanks.......in fact my hands are a mess!!!!! But that's ok......I rince really ,really well after using cleaning products...and I try to plan so I'm not messing with the tanks in between....I really try to be all done with any kind of products....

ariolex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I have always asked myself the same thing. I try to do WC first thing in the morning (even before washing my teeth :-X ) to avoid introducing traces of toothpaste, or oils from breakfast's food. Maybe a bit extreme but why not.

allibobs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I wash mine with as hot as water as I can for as long as I can, bit if my hand have been near any nasty's I Use soap and rinse for AGES

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Meenu, this is a great topic to bring up.

proudtobeafarmgirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I make sure I have not put any lotion on for a long time, rinse my hands well under the tap, then use a container to catch some water out of the filter's stream and rinse my hands in that, then vacuum the gravel or rearrange plants, do what ever I need to do.

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
On days when I'm going to be in the tank, I purposely don't use anything chemicals (shower gel, deoderant, perfume) etc. So I've have a hot shower and just be free to dive into the tank. Then I just put everything on afterwards. I've actually stopped wearing perfume on my wrists altogether now because it's been such a pain to have to wash thoroughly before diggin in a tank.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Interesting topic

I normally do my water changes after a shower, when my skin is 'cleanest' and has been under warm water for some time to remove all soap traces.

I certainly wouldn't contemplate using any form of soap to 'scrub down' prior, as a doctor would lol.. [Just my approach]

Aside from that, if I've been active in the lead up, then just a rinse of the hands and arms under the tap to remove any sweat, then dive straight in.

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
In the other thread, Meenu and I started discussing this. I have many animals and garden; so I never know what might be on my hands. When I play with my dogs or pulling weeds/garden work, my hands can get filthy. I also have parakeets and a rabbit. Both of which can have a few nasties that might get on my hands.

When I'm going to put my hands into my tank, I wash with dish soap and rinse 2-3 times with hot water to ensure no soap is on my hands/arms.

But, Meenu thought that there would be soap residue that was getting into my tank.

From reviewing everyone's responses, sounds like there are a variety of ways we attempt to protect both ourselves as well as our animal friends. I wonder if one method might be better than another?

Thank you for starting this thread Meenu!

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
And yet no one has mentioned to washing their hands when done in the tank......

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I only wash my hands for that job if::..I've been eating pizza, have detergent on them or just changed the oil in the car.

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
lol btate!!! my tank is water is clean!! you need to take time to build up antibodies!!! lolol

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Depends on what I've been doing If I feel I need to wash them I use antibacterial saop I keep by my sink then rinse, rinse, rinse.
Other than that I usually just reach in
Carol

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
btate617 said:
And yet no one has mentioned to washing their hands when done in the tank......
I did, Brian, but in the other thread where this topic actually started.

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry Meenu..... it is really tough to follow you from thread to thread..... makes me dizzy

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads