How do you clean the sides of an arcrylic tank? 40 Gallon Tank 

Vash

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I found out acrylic can be easily scratched.

I was using wet piece of 100% cotton shirt to wipe it wet first, before I tried to use dry paper towel to clean it...which would work perfectly on glass. And then I found out that dry paper towel can scratch acrylic...

The tank is fairly clean on the outside right now, but on the inside it has lots of build up from the fluorite substrate I used...not to mention that I still will have to clean the outside sometimes.

I had bought magnetic algea remover, and one old fashioned hand hold cleaner.
But I am afraid that both are actually harder than paper towel even when they are wet.

What is the best way to clean acrylic tank on the outside and on the inside without scratch it?

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My husband has acrylic and he uses the pads specifically for the interior of that tank. I use the glass ones on mine. They don't scratch either material.

On the outside, we both use damp paper towels.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Vash,

I only use the 100% cotton T shirt as you have been doing. One wet and one dry. The algae comes right off for me.

There are Algae scrubbers made for acrylic tanks too. However, I purchased one and I never used it. It just felt too rough and I wasn't about to scratch my new tank.

Ken

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Petsmart has the scrubby thing on a handle made specifically for acrylic tanks. I use it and have had no issues with scratching. I also have read that microfiber cloths work, but haven't tried it.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh yeah, my husband uses that handle one for his acrylic, too.

zapco23

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Inside, I use an algae cleaning pad made for acrylic tanks. Outside , microfiber only with acrylic cleaning spray made for fish tanks.

Vash

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Does anyone have a link to exactly product you use for cleaning acrylic?

phishyitis

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If you are looking at tank cleaning pads online or at the store it will specifically say "for acrylic".Usually they are the white pads for acrylic and blue for glass.But only use one that says for acrylic,I use one from petsmart its about 3 bucks.

Vash

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I just bought an "acrylic" mag-floating pad from thatpetplace...
Pretty sure I bought the right thing. It has big "acrylic" on it.

It scratched my tank

I guess I will use cotton shirt for the inside too... it's quite hard to do it because these acrylic tanks have top cover with another layer of unmovable acrylic... I can only do the work through two holes.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads