How do you clean glass under light

matt6765

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
As the title says I am trying to clean the glass under my light so it can let more light into my tank. Right now there is some magnesium/calcium build up and other stains. My question is how can I get rid of this. I tried vinegar and windex but it did not seem to work. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think it's call CRL. The stuff you use to get calcuim build up out of your shower head... might have to take a trip to home depot. Make sure you rinse off the glass completely after you clean it.... pretty sure that stuff isn't good for your fish, LOL.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think it's call CRL. The stuff you use to get calcuim build up out of your shower head... might have to take a trip to home depot. Make sure you rinse off the glass completely after you clean it.... pretty sure that stuff isn't good for your fish, LOL.
Actually, it's called CLR (Calcium, Lime, Rust) [

Personally, I wouldn't use this stuff on anything that has a chance of entering the aquarium. Ie, if you're light glass gets evaporation on it (which is probably what is causing the build up), then when water evaporates, hits the fixture, and drops back to the tank, you could have all sorts of problems.

You'd also want to test the stuff on a sample area first, to make sure it doesn't discolour the glass etc. It's pretty strong stuff, I used to use to clean up oil spills in the garage, and it practically bleached the concrete.

My approach would be, to if possible, remove the glass, soak it in a bucket with warm water and white vinegar (1 part vinegar to 19 parts water 1:19). That should loosen the build enough to scrub/wipe off.

Then thoroughly rinse the glass in warm water and dry.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm with Ryan. We use CLR at the workshop to scrub the floor. There's no way you would catch me putting that stuff anywhere near my aquariums. It could end up being safe, but I wouldn't be prepared to try it.

I would go with the soaking for a day or two & then just hit it with a nylon scouring pad & a razor blade for the really tough stuff.

Once you get it clean, keep it clean. Wash the lids each week with a sponge dedicated to the aquarium & dry them before putting them back on the tank.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I use vinegar. I put the hood in the bathtub or on my deck, splash some vinegar over it (you can be more frugal and use a spritzer... but I'm too lazy for that), and let it sit for a couple of minutes. I can usually wipe the scale off with a towel afterward. Then I rinse it a few times, and put it back.

I'm definitely with the others on not using CLR. It has a surfactant in it, which means that small amounts are potentially fatal to fish, as the surfactant could easily cling to gills and make breathing impossible.

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
CRL… I must have bought the off brand…. JK.

This was a last resort suggestion after all other avenues for cleaning your glass have been explored. My nephew has pretty hard well water and tried everything else; he started using the CRL without any problems, he would rinse/soak in the bathtub after. Personally I wouldn’t use the stuff.

At Matt: I don’t know how adjustable your hood/glass is. If you can, adjust glass section for it’s not directly above your air stones and/or under gravel filter tubes. This will cut way down on the build up. I was cleaning my glass every couple weeks when I had them over my air stones. I think I’ve cleaned them once, maybe twice since I moved around the glass 5 months ago.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom