How Do You Clean A Tank When A Fish Has Died?

Zabuthebetta

My betta fish passed away this morning. He was in my cycled ten gallon tank with a heater and filter and air bubbler. His gank temo. Was at 80°. He started with ich which then progressed to severe fin rot and then a little bit of body rot. It all progressed very quickly in a matter of 2 days. Now, I am wondering how to clean out my tank to be able to house fish again. I had dosed an ich medicine 2 days ago, and am supposed to dose it again today. Should I finish the dosing in order to ensure the elimination of the ich that may still be in the water? And what should I do after that? I am worried about lingering bacteria from his illnesses.
Parameters :
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrites: 0 ppm
Nitrates: 5 ppm
Ph: 7.8

pagoda

Well Known
When I have this happen I get some Milton's Steriliser fluid, its used for babies bottles etc. Clean the tank right out, put gravel and ornaments etc into a bowl and follow instructions on Milton's bottle, do the same with the tank, fill tank and add Miltons

Leave for 24-48 hours, drain and rinse and your tank & substrate etc will be ready to start a new cycle for new fish

OP
Zabuthebetta

Zabuthebetta

pagoda said:
When I have this happen I get some Milton's Steriliser fluid, its used for babies bottles etc. Clean the tank right out, put gravel and ornaments etc into a bowl and follow instructions on Milton's bottle, do the same with the tank, fill tank and add Miltons

Leave for 24-48 hours, drain and rinse and your tank & substrate etc will be ready to start a new cycle for new fish
Thank you! Do you think I should finish the dose of the ich medicine or I should be fine just cleaning it out?

pagoda

Well Known
Once its sterilised there will be no infection there

If you wish you can use a bottle brush to scrub the corners of the tank and ornaments and really really rinse the substrate hard, then you'll have no residues left

OP
Zabuthebetta

Zabuthebetta

pagoda said:
Once its sterilised there will be no infection there

If you wish you can use a bottle brush to scrub the corners of the tank and ornaments and really really rinse the substrate hard, then you'll have no residues left
Alrighty, thank you!

OP
Zabuthebetta

Zabuthebetta

treadingwater said:
I'm sorry about your fish. If that's him in your profile pic he was really handsome.
Yeah that was him! He was a spunky little guy. Thank you very much!

LagerthaM

I am so sorry for your loss! What I usually do is use a bleach solution to clean out the tank, I have found that it works really well and is really cost effective.

LagerthaM

Zabuthebetta said:
Thank you! How much bleach do you use?
I don't have an exact measurement, but I usually fill up the cap then I pour that into a water bottle that has hot water in it, mix that all together and then use it to clean. Just make sure you rinse out your tank and decorations until you can't smell bleach anymore.

OP
Zabuthebetta

Zabuthebetta

LagerthaM said:
I don't have an exact measurement, but I usually fill up the cap then I pour that into a water bottle that has hot water in it, mix that all together and then use it to clean. Just make sure you rinse out your tank and decorations until you can't smell bleach anymore.
Thank you!

New Threads