How do you calculate tank size needed?

BlueRaccoon
I'm trying to figure out how much space I need. Is there a good way to go about it?

I read that cherry barbs need 5 gallons per fish. So if I get a school of 6, I would need 30 gallons. I would like to add other fish. I read that for honey gouramis you should have 10g for the first two, and then 5g for every other fish. So if I bought 3, I would need 25g. So do I just add the 30 from the cherry barbs and 25 from the gourami's?

AlphaFish
AqAdvisor's got some flaws, but it is pretty good overall. Just double-check everything.

jinjerJOSH22
I'm trying to figure out how much space I need. Is there a good way to go about it?

I read that cherry barbs need 5 gallons per fish. So if I get a school of 6, I would need 30 gallons. I would like to add other fish. I read that for honey gouramis you should have 10g for the first two, and then 5g for every other fish. So if I bought 3, I would need 25g. So do I just add the 30 from the cherry barbs and 25 from the gourami's?
Experience, asking around on forums, various websites, books etc... There not many hard rules that work like "this fish requires X gallons per fish", it would be easier if it was that way.
As for the species you mentioned you quite easily keep 12 or so Cherry Barbs in a 20 gallon(preferably long) and likely even the Honey Gourami 3-5 in the same setup.

BlueRaccoon
Experience, asking around on forums, various websites, books etc... There not many hard rules that work like "this fish requires X gallons per fish", it would be easier if it was that way.
As for the species you mentioned you quite easily keep 12 or so Cherry Barbs in a 20 gallon(preferably long) and likely even the Honey Gourami 3-5 in the same setup.
Thank you! Wow, I had planned to buy a 40g, and thought that may be too small for those. Do you also find AqAdvisor pretty accurate?
AqAdvisor's got some flaws, but it is pretty good overall. Just double-check everything.
Thank you! Seems like a great site!

jinjerJOSH22
Thank you! Wow, I had planned to buy a 40g, and thought that may be too small for those. Do you also find AqAdvisor pretty accurate?

Thank you! Seems like a great site!
Personally I really don't like the site and I know I'm not alone in that opinion. There is a lot I disagree with, things I know can work perfectly fine and things that could end in a very bad and stressful situation for both the fish and keeper.
Just double-check everything.
This I agree with if you/other people want to use that site however it often becomes the sole argument of why something should or shouldn't work out and that bothers me a lot! Especially when people come here looking for advice from experienced aquarists and then end up being redirected to some online stocking game. I find that bizarre.

BlueRaccoon
Personally I really don't like the site and I know I'm not alone in that opinion. There is a lot I disagree with, things I know can work perfectly fine and things that could end in a very bad and stressful situation for both the fish and keeper.

This I agree with if you/other people want to use that site however it often becomes the sole argument of why something should or shouldn't work out and that bothers me a lot! Especially when people come here looking for advice from experienced aquarists and then end up being redirected to some online stocking game. I find that bizarre.
Thank you! I will use that site, and then I will check in on here and see if what I decide is a good idea. I plan to get a 36g or a 40 breeder. I was hoping to add cherry barbs and honey gouami's as I mentioned above. Since you thunk those would both fit in a 20, would I be able to add some pygmy corydoras to a 40? What about some emperor tetras?

jinjerJOSH22
40 breeder
I here these are quite well liked so maybe go for this :D
Since you thunk those would both fit in a 20, would I be able to add some pygmy corydoras to a 40? What about some emperor tetras?
No experience with either but the Cories should do just fine, I believe they are a mid swimming species though I can't remember. Absolutely no idea on the Tetra though.

Advertisement
BlueRaccoon
I here these are quite well liked so maybe go for this :D

No experience with either but the Cories should do just fine, I believe they are a mid swimming species though I can't remember. Absolutely no idea on the Tetra though.
Thank you so much! I really appreciate all the help!

JTW
I'd go with more than 6 cherry barbs. They look better in a larger group in my opinion. If you're going with a 36 or 40 gallon tank, I'd get at least a dozen. Personally, I'd double down on the cherry barbs, and leave the emperor tetras out. But that's just my preference. I find a bigger school of one type looks better than two smaller schools of different types.

BlueRaccoon
I'd go with more than 6 cherry barbs. They look better in a larger group in my opinion. If you're going with a 36 or 40 gallon tank, I'd get at least a dozen. Personally, I'd double down on the cherry barbs, and leave the emperor tetras out. But that's just my preference. I find a bigger school of one type looks better than two smaller schools of different types.
Thank you! Would I be able to add anything else if I had 12? Could I add a few honey or drawf gouami's? Or would that be too much? I appreciate your opinion. That makes sense.

JTW
Thank you! Would I be able to add anything else if I had 12? Could I add a few honey or drawf gouami's? Or would that be too much? I appreciate your opinion. That makes sense.

Yes, you could definitely still add the honey gouramis. The 5 gallons per fish you mentioned for cherry barbs seems quite conservative to me.

As we speak, I have 8 in a 20 gallon, along with 14 white clouds. That's maybe overstocked, but I keep on the maintenance, and I don't have any water quality or behavior issues.

I would also feel comfortable adding the school of pygmy corydoras you mentioned. But that's your call. Some people like to stock on the heavy side, and others don't. I tend to stock on the heavier side of the spectrum.

Of course, I wouldn't add them all at once. One school at a time, while keeping a close eye on things.

BlueRaccoon
Yes, you could definitely still add the honey gouramis. The 5 gallons per fish you mentioned for cherry barbs seems quite conservative to me.

As we speak, I have 8 in a 20 gallon, along with 14 white clouds. That's maybe overstocked, but I keep on the maintenance, and I don't have any water quality or behavior issues.

I would also feel comfortable adding the school of pygmy corydoras you mentioned. But that's your call. Some people like to stock on the heavy side, and others don't. I tend to stock on the heavier side of the spectrum.

Of course, I wouldn't add them all at once. One school at a time, while keeping a close eye on things.
Thank you so much! This is super helpful! I think I'll stay on the light side just because I have a baby, and I wouldn't want any chance of the fish having anything but prestine conditions. You have help a lot! I'm excited I can do 12!

JTW
Thank you so much! This is super helpful! I think I'll stay on the light side just because I have a baby, and I wouldn't want any chance of the fish having anything but prestine conditions. You have help a lot! I'm excited I can do 12!

I would think that 12 cherry barbs, and 3 honey gourami is a fairly conservative stocking for a 36-40 gallon. So that seems like a good option.

BlueRaccoon
I would think that 12 cherry barbs, and 3 honey gourami is a fairly conservative stocking for a 36-40 gallon. So that seems like a good option.
That will probably be what I will go with! My plan from the start was to go on the conservative side. I can always change that later. I'm just thrilled that I can have more fish than I thought!

jinjerJOSH22
I agree with this and I would suggest 5 Honeys to let them have the opportunities to be social. I still believe you would be on the conservative side ;)

Congratulations! on the baby, I myself am a relatively new Dad my 4 month old daughter really enjoys staring at the fishys. The Barbs are a really good choice for that :D

BlueRaccoon
I agree with this and I would suggest 5 Honeys to let them have the opportunities to be social. I still believe you would be on the conservative side ;)

Congratulations! on the baby, I myself am a relatively new Dad my 4 month old daughter really enjoys staring at the fishys. The Barbs are a really good choice for that :D
Thank you! Dang, I'm excited about this tank! My daughter is 4 months too! I think she will LOVE the tank! Congrats to you too!

Now the hard part starts.......The waiting.....Time to save money and then some time to cycle. LOL

BlueRaccoon
I'm curious how tank size recommendations come about. I'm just curious and trying to learn. Is their natural habitat considered? Do expert aquarist experiment to see what seems to keep the fish healthy and happy? Any thoughts? Thank you!

BigManAquatics
Some of that, but a lot is determined based on the species normal activity and behavior- for example, fish that are territorial or very active swimmers-and also the size of the fish full grown determine a lot when considering tank size.

BlueRaccoon
Some of that, but a lot is determined based on the species normal activity and behavior- for example, fish that are territorial or very active swimmers-and also the size of the fish full grown determine a lot when considering tank size.
Thank you! I guess my big question is whether our specs are ethical? Do we know enough to be fair to our fish? I'm NOT saying we don't, I'm just wondering if experts and experienced aquarist feel pretty good about it! Thanks!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Adam Alston
Replies
Views
Lynn78too
Replies
Views
speedyandoreo
Replies
Views