How Do You Bury A Dead Fish? I’m Curious!

Tsukkomu
I haven’t lost a fish in a long time. But I always bury my fish in the back yard. My friend just lost a fish and flushed it...I couldn’t believe it! It just seems so inhumane! No dignity going down the porcelain thrown....I know a water burial is totally appropriate - take the body to a lake! Don’t flush it into the sewer where god knows how long it’ll take to reach an open body of water.

I’m just curious...do you bury your fish in the backyard and say some words? Do you make your roommate come out with you? Do you dig a grave with a spoon and find a nice pretty rock as a grave marker? Or is it a quick plop in the toilet?

I know this is borderline funny but I am really curious...honestly I’m pretty upset with my friend.

FishWithTim
I haven’t lost a fish in a long time. But I always bury my fish in the back yard. My friend just lost a fish and flushed it...I couldn’t believe it! It just seems so inhumane! No dignity going down the porcelain thrown....I know a water burial is totally appropriate - take the body to a lake! Don’t flush it into the sewer where god knows how long it’ll take to reach an open body of water.

I’m just curious...do you bury your fish in the backyard and say some words? Do you make your roommate come out with you? Do you dig a grave with a spoon and find a nice pretty rock as a grave marker? Or is it a quick plop in the toilet?

I know this is borderline funny but I am really curious...honestly I’m pretty upset with my friend.
Quick plop in the toilet for me.

david1978
The problem with putting into a lake or any other water way is that there are diseases that are unique to aquarium fish that aren't found in the wild so you could be introducing something to the water way in theory that could wipe out the whole water way. Think small pocks from eastern European settlers to the Indians .

Repolie
I also do the toilet. Don't think you should be throwing it in the lake because they aren't native to there and you could introduce bad bacteria from the decomposing body that isn't found in the wild. Many people bury them in pots or planters so they could live on in the plant.

WTFish?
Dead fish are great for plants and flowers.

LionFeather
I had a really friendly mollie who died recently, I was out in my pajamas, with a pink painted rock (quite a large one too) and crying my eyes out (I loved her) and the neighbours just stood watching me out the window. When their rabbit died a few weeks earlier they just chucked it into the bin and all I could hear was that "now flopsy died, could she have a dog now?" from the little girl. I always give my fish a proper burial.

Tsukkomu
Dead fish are great for plants and flowers.
cool! I'll do the planter method next. I just started an indoor menagerie of plants. thanks for the advice about the lake Repolie , I have never done it...I just imagine that flushing into the sewer would eventually carry the fish to the lake...or a lake...that's how it is where i'm from, the sewer ways anyways.

I don't judge about the toilet method. I was being funny yet serious at the same time.

I had a really friendly mollie who died recently, I was out in my pajamas, with a pink painted rock (quite a large one too) and crying my eyes out (I loved her) and the neighbours just stood watching me out the window. When their rabbit died a few weeks earlier they just chucked it into the bin and all I could hear was that "now flopsy died, could she have a dog now?" from the little girl. I always give my fish a proper burial.
you're my hero LionFeather!! I would love to see your fish graveyard the next time i'm in Scotland.

PonzLL
hmm

I never actually gave any thought to tossing them in the trash. I don't usually get too attached to fish though.

Now the baby mollies I have I think I'd be kinda sad if they died since I've raised them since birth but I guess I won't know until they eventually die.

And if my son's betta died I'd probably 3d print her a little shrine to make my son feel better.

Tsukkomu
hmm

I never actually gave any thought to tossing them in the trash. I don't usually get too attached to fish though.

Now the baby mollies I have I think I'd be kinda sad if they died since I've raised them since birth but I guess I won't know until they eventually die.

And if my son's betta died I'd probably 3d print her a little shrine to make my son feel better.
I must get a 3D printer...it's just i'm too busy spending my money on international travel and fish stuff. lol lol.

mattgirl
I lost a pearl danio a while back. I thought about burying it in one of my outside flower pots but then remembered the raccoons. I knew they would smell it and dig it up so down the toilet it went. We have a septic system so I know the water from it never makes it to any other body of water.

Tsukkomu
I lost a pearl danio a while back. I thought about burying it in one of my outside flower pots but then remembered the raccoons. I knew they would smell it and dig it up so down the toilet it went. We have a septic system so I know the water from it never makes it to any other body of water.
yes, one time my old roommate lost an oscar...it jumped out of the water and got carpet fibers all in it's gills. it made it a few more days but then it croaked. I insisted she bury it (she wanted to put it in the bin)...I wouldn't let her. so we gave it a very dramatic funeral outside.....a few days later her dog carried it inside....it smelled horrendous....it immediately went out to the curb....we watched as the garbage men hauled him away...it truly was sad but I laughed for 3 days straight.

r5n8xaw00
I feed em to my cat.... (I can just hear the ladies now....oohh that's horrible...j/k),,,

mattgirl
yes, one time my old roommate lost an oscar...it jumped out of the water and got carpet fibers all in it's gills. it made it a few more days but then it croaked. I insisted she bury it (she wanted to put it in the bin)...I wouldn't let her. so we gave it a very dramatic funeral outside.....a few days later her dog carried it inside....it smelled horrendous....it immediately went out to the curb....we watched as the garbage men hauled him away...it truly was sad but I laughed for 3 days straight.
That truly must have been a sight to see....Holding a wake at the back of a garbage truck.

Thanks for my morning giggle

CanadianFishFan
Ive seen people bury them just in the dirt, into the trash bag, in a petsmart cup into the ground, and in a box. I bury them and plant a flower near a tree.

Tsukkomu
That truly must have been a sight to see....Holding a wake at the back of a garbage truck.

Thanks for my morning giggle
it truly was sad. I made a big dramatic scene at the funeral...it was first time living in a house with a fish tank - a giant one containing full grown oscars at that...i'll never forget the look on the dogs face. like he was bringing us a present, or perhaps he thought we lost it...

ETNsilverstar
The last fishies that died for me got buried. Previously they were flushed, but these ones were big enough that they would've clogged out toilet. Something probably dug them up and ate them at some point, but we lived in an apartment so there was no way they'd end up back in the house.

Tsukkomu
The last fishies that died for me got buried. Previously they were flushed, but these ones were big enough that they would've clogged out toilet. Something probably dug them up and ate them at some point, but we lived in an apartment so there was no way they'd end up back in the house.
love

aced it
I have a fish funeral in the backyard. There's an animal graveyard where most fish go, but if any fish was a particular favorite, they go under the willow tree. My dog does his best to dig them up, but he's an 8 pound toy poodle, so he doesn't get very far.

THRESHER
I say a few words, thank them for being my pet, then down the porcelean gullet it goes.

86 ssinit
I don’t want to be buried in a pet cemetery!! J.R.
They get flushed and if to big into a zip lock bag and out with the garbage.

Kathryn Crook
I bury mine in the garden to give back to my plants.

My dead snail went into the fiddler crab tank. They can eat on it for a week. And the shell makes a perfect little cave for my baby fiddler!

bizaliz3
From what I have read, flushing dead fish is not a good idea and can cause issues for native species if it was a sick fish. The parasites they may have had can get back into the water that native fish are living in.

Burying them, or putting them in the garbage is the way to go. I have buried a couple of my favorite angelfish in a couple potted plants. It was a neat little memorial for them.

Lacey D
Errr... I've only lost one endler so far, and that got dropped over the porch railing into the garden below. Something will find it and enjoy it.
** CIRCLE OF LIFE!! **
(It was 5AM and I was late for work).
I think if we lost one of the betta, I like the idea of putting it in a pot and planting something over it. Now that I also have kuhlI loaches, I'm not sure what I would do for them. I'll have to think about that, but probably in the garden as well.

I feed em to my cat.... (I can just hear the ladies now....oohh that's horrible...j/k),,,
My cat wants them. I say no.

CanadianFishFan
What about you guys who just crush the pest snails and chuck em in the trash? #SnailLivesMatter

yukondog
Dig hole next to tomato plant insert fish and bury .

Lacey D
What about you guys who just crush the pest snails and chuck em in the trash? #SnailLivesMatter
Mine all either get eaten as babies, or die of old age/starvation, as nature intended. The only ones who have gotten smooshed are sheer accident :/ Either way, the shells end up on display or consumed by the other snails to recycle the calcium and proteins.

Smalltownfishfriend
I usually either feed them to the dog, or throw them in the yard for the cats to find..

r5n8xaw00
My cat wants them. I say no.
oh..I see how it is....well get in line...cause I gots lots of people waiting to abuse me....layful:

RuralGuppykeeper
Unfortunately I too used to flush dead fish when I was younger, until I attempted to research the risks and weighed the potential consequences of my actions to the wildlife and the environment. ops:
Now I bury it with a shovel under a redbud tree, often with a few words, partly for my younger siblings. If it's winter, I seal the deceased guppy in two plastic zip lock bags, and put it into the trash can.

Tsukkomu
I have a fish funeral in the backyard. There's an animal graveyard where most fish go, but if any fish was a particular favorite, they go under the willow tree. My dog does his best to dig them up, but he's an 8 pound toy poodle, so he doesn't get very far.
hahaha. seems 50/50 for who buries and who flushes.

countryrain , I think feeding your cat is acceptable. it is the circle of life! if I wasn't a vegetarian I would probably be open to feeding them to my cat....but....it would freak me out.

I didn't expect this thread to get so many responses! thanks everyone for chiming in. I think it's fascinating. I don't think there is any right or wrong way to proceed when a fish friend passes. I think it just comes down to personal preference.

it is fascinating to me! thanks everyone for contributing to my thread!

Coradee
I don’t know the laws in other countries but here in the UK it is illegal to introduce non native species dead or alive into any waterway, & that includes flushing into the sewer systems.
Makes sense to me that whatever the fish died from could still be introduced into waterways & could decimate local populations.
Please don’t flush, wrap in newspaper & put in the trash or compost bin or bury, just my two cents

Tsukkomu
I don’t know the laws in other countries but here in the UK it is illegal to introduce non native species dead or alive into any waterway, & that includes flushing into the sewer systems.
Makes sense to me that whatever the fish died from could still be introduced into waterways & could decimate local populations.
Please don’t flush, wrap in newspaper & put in the trash or compost bin or bury, just my two cents

it's illegal here too. or at least where I am, Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA. if you do a search you'll find lots of stories and articles about killer goldfish who got released in a lake only to be caught by a fisherman/woman later....only now a giant. I don't see anyone ever being prosecuted for flushing a deceased fish....but i'm certain it's illegal everywhere, mostly. i'd be shocked if i'm wrong.

Errr... I've only lost one endler so far, and that got dropped over the porch railing into the garden below. Something will find it and enjoy it.
** CIRCLE OF LIFE!! **
(It was 5AM and I was late for work).
I think if we lost one of the betta, I like the idea of putting it in a pot and planting something over it. Now that I also have kuhlI loaches, I'm not sure what I would do for them. I'll have to think about that, but probably in the garden as well.
the garden idea is sounding really cool...

Skavatar
buried in the compost pile, cycle of life.

Mcasella
I put most of them in the trash to be honest, only the special ones get burial rights - some are placed in my potted plants (but I have to sprinkle them with freaking chilI powder because my dog will literally walk up to my potted plant and pull them out to eat them, so now anytime she tries she gets a nose full of spices and deters her from trying to snack out of the pots of my poisonous plants -to animals, not people-). Most just go out to the curb. I do not flush fish.

sipec
I flush them

cichlid4life
You take a shovel, you dig a hole in the ground that is the chosen burial site, you put the fish in the hole and then last but not least, you cover up the fish with dirt. The excess stuff that is not necessary to have for the funeral is: a tombstone and a bunch of crying people.

midna
haven't had a fish die in a long time either, but I used to flush them. I occasionally buried them in a little jewellry box in the backyard or garden. from now on I'll bury them because flushing is apparently not a smart thing to do. there's a place in our backyard's sideyard, by the fence, where i've buried all sorts of pets. rats, hamsters, a water turtle, african dwarf frogs, fish... everything but the cats lol (those are ashes in fancy boxes in our living room). I put a flower from our garden on top of the grave when i'm finished and say a few words.

cichlid4life
haven't had a fish die in a long time either, but I used to flush them. I occasionally buried them in a little jewellry box in the backyard or garden. from now on I'll bury them because flushing is apparently not a smart thing to do. there's a place in our backyard's sideyard, by the fence, where i've buried all sorts of pets. rats, hamsters, water turtles, african dwarf frogs, fish... everything but the cats lol (those are ashes in boxes in our living room). I put a flower from our garden on top of the grave when i'm finished.
I must say that I like the natural tombstone idea.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JRC3
Replies
Views
Plantsmaketanks
Replies
Views
Fashooga
Replies
Views