How do you bring your pH up Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Linda4088, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Linda4088

Linda4088 Valued Member Member

I have a 10 gallon guppy tank and my pH is dropping. They're supposed to be comfortable anywhere from 6.4 to 7.8 and my has dropped to 6.6. I did a 50% water change yesterday because my ammonia had spiked after I added more fish. Could that have caused the pH to drop?

2. endlercollector

endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

If the KH is low in your tap water, you can experience instability with the pH. It is not a good idea to rely on chemicals to stabilize pH as they often lead to swings later on. There have been a variety of threads on Fishlore about using coral and egg shells. Check them out for lots of good instructions and details ;)

3. OP
    OP
    Linda4088

Linda4088 Valued Member Member

. I read that Driftwood would bring it down & I do have driftwood in their tank. This is the first time it's gone down like that though. And I was just talking to you about my pH being okay. I should've found that wood to knock on.

4. eds48

eds48 Valued Member Member

I heard of using crushed coral to bring up the ph.. I believe that is what most members on here do too. I think they put it in like a bag of some sort and then it goes in the filter? Someone correct me if im wrong lol

5. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Crushed coral will help raise your pH. In addition it will help buffer your water also (buffering is the resistance to change of pH). You can put some crushed coral in a media bag and stuff it into your filter If it will not fit in your filter you could just put the bag right into the tank.

Sadly I can't tell you how much crushed coral you will need, it's a trial and error process. I would start off with a handful then test the pH after 24-48 hours, if low add some more and test again after 24-48 hours, repeat as required. Keep in mind that the crushed coral raise the pH as the calcium disolves in the water and it can take some time to see the full effects.

You should easily find crushed coral at the fish store, since it is sold as a substrate for saltwater tanks. But sadly when I purchased it, the smallest bag was 15 pounds and I needed about a cup.

6. f

fishguy1955 New Member Member

Crushed coral will raise your pH to around 8.2 and keep it there. You can get a couple pounds in the Water Conditioner section on AquaBid.

7. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

By using a smaller amount of crushed coral, you can keep your pH lower.

8. M

Maxi1 Valued Member Member

Yes, I have found that to be true. I put in/take out small amounts of coral to try to keep pH around 7. One tank just has a palmful and the other one has more, in a bag, in the filter. Fish stores have the bags.

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice