How do you boil driftwood?

1. Bob_Marley88 Initiate Member

I hear some people say they boil their driftwood to kill bacteria and so on, i just bought a peice that is about 2 feet long and about a foot high, how on earth am i suppose to boil this thing? For everyone who has done it do you all have giant pots or something? Or is there something im missing? :confused:

2. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I've seen people build a little fire pit, and use a metal garbage can.

Also, welcome to Fishlore! :)

3. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah, pretty good size pot used here, over an open fire.

4. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

You can also bake it. I think it's 150 for 30-45 mins.

5. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

I have heard the metal trash cans split and loose their water if gotten too hot.

6. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Well don't make the fire too hot then :p

7. Bob_Marley88 Initiate Member

Okay well that solves that lol, i cant build a fire because i live in a apartment complex and im sure that isnt cool with the office. Too big for my oven as well (i tried), so its seems my only option is to find a friend with a back yard and a big metal garbage can? Or someone or place with a bigger oven than i?

8. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Do you have a bath tub? Rinse the tub out real good with hot water, plug it up, and fill it hot water. Almost the same as boiling lol

Some one might come up with a better idea than that lol

9. Bob_Marley88 Initiate Member

Lol yes i have a bathtub, i dont think the water would run at a hot enough temperature long enough, it would probably start to be luke warm after about 3 mins of constant running lol...worth a try though i guess! Even at its hottest would that be enough to kill bacteria?

10. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

Most hot water heaters are set no warmer than 120F.

11. Bob_Marley88 Initiate Member

Last piece of info, the person i bought it from said that he couldnt do either as well because of the same reasons as me. He did say he poured boiling water over it a number of times though. Will that sufice? Should i maybe do that at least 2 or 3 more times?

12. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

That could work, yes :)

13. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

Sounds good.

14. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

I have a 46" piece of driftwood in my 33g long tank which is 48". All I did was get some boiling water and pour over the driftwood, let it cool and placed it in the tank. This piece of wood came from a fish store that was in a tank full of nothing but wood and was kind of mossy/slime feeling to it. Children, get your parents help here!

If you aren't concerned about tannins coming out of the driftwood, then the above is all you need to do.

Ken

15. crayfish1 Initiate Member

You can use an old roast pan and rotate your driftwood in it

16. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

I never boil, just soak over time.