How do you balance having low surface flow for floating plants and biofilm buildup?

Laurosaur
I baffled my HOBs to slow the surface flow for my RRFs but now there’s an accumulation of biofilm that builds up after a day or two.

I was wondering how you guys usually balance the two? Do the floaters mind the biofilm?

Thanks in advance!

Asomeone
Sometimes its as simple as changing up the type of food you give to the tank. I do not think that biofilm bothers the plants in any way. If its something that's bothering you though, there are sometimes skimmer attachments for certain filters or you can try to fence in your floaters with fishing wire attached to structures. I personally have used fishing wire attached to suction cups with success.

kansas
I use a piece of thread to keep the floating plants corralled in the parts of the tank with low flow. I have a brightly lit, high current part of the tank and a shady, low flow part.

Laurosaur
Asomeone said:
Sometimes its as simple as changing up the type of food you give to the tank. I do not think that biofilm bothers the plants in any way. If its something that's bothering you though, there are sometimes skimmer attachments for certain filters or you can try to fence in your floaters with fishing wire attached to structures. I personally have used fishing wire attached to suction cups with success.
Maybe I need to feed less often? I’m using a cube of repashy gel food once a day. The biofilm accumulates regardless of whether I fence my floaters or not because of the baffles on the filters. There is essentially no flow on the surface of the tank now.

kansas said:
I use a piece of thread to keep the floating plants corralled in the parts of the tank with low flow. I have a brightly lit, high current part of the tank and a shady, low flow part.
Hmm okay. I baffled my filters so there is essentially no flow on the tank surface because I was having trouble keeping my floaters alive. I thought it was a flow issue and my corral made of airline tubing wasn’t really working, so I added the baffles. But of course, with the low flow, biofilm forms.

kansas
I have frogbit, salvinia, and duckweed. The frogbit and the duckweed grow quickly. The lid is pretty tight so it's humid in there but they are doing fine, much to my surprise.

Laurosaur
kansas said:
I have frogbit, salvinia, and duckweed. The frogbit and the duckweed grow quickly. The lid is pretty tight so it's humid in there but they are doing fine, much to my surprise.
That’s good. I only have the red root floaters. Everywhere I read they’re supposed to be easy to keep but I’m having trouble keeping them alive. Have tried nearly everything I can think of, now I’m tweaking for nutrient deficiencies... anyway they’re not propagating fast enough to keep the biofilm away so I’m not sure how to maintain a balance.

kansas
Laurosaur said:
That’s good. I only have the red root floaters. Everywhere I read they’re supposed to be easy to keep but I’m having trouble keeping them alive. Have tried nearly everything I can think of, now I’m tweaking for nutrient deficiencies... anyway they’re not propagating fast enough to keep the biofilm away so I’m not sure how to maintain a balance.
I've read that those are harder to grow, I never tried.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom