How do you attach java moss to driftwood?

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi all,

I recently became the proud new owner of some of Jaysee's world-famous java moss. I got a couple cool pieces of driftwood for my betta tanks and would love to attach the java moss to them, and try and avoid getting it all over the tanks

So how do you do it? I've attached anubias by just wedging it in a conveniently-located crevice, and by tying it with fishing line. But how can you tie a million tiny pieces of java moss to driftwood? Do you just set it there and cross your fingers?

Last edited by a moderator:

AmazonPassion

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Re: How do you attach java fern to driftwood?

Place the moss on the driftwood and wrap it with sewing thread. The moss will eventually attach to the wood and grow over the thread. The thread over time will break down.

In this pic, imagine the tissue paper is the moss that I placed on the driftwood. Notice I used green sewing thread and wrapped it around the tissue paper to hold it still.
uploadfromtaptalk1357795131102.jpg

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks for the visual! Works for me, I'll do that I'll put up a picture when it's done (I'm planning on playing musical tanks this weekend). Thanks for your help!

Do I need to worry about bunching it up too tight? Like, does it need room to "breathe," or if I make a thin layer and tie it on, will that work?

AmazonPassion

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm a visual learner and like to give visual aids when I present. Lol.

I would spread it out in a thin layer. Doesn't really need to breathe, but it needs access to the light. From my experience when I bunch it, the bottom layer turns brown while the top layer grows.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok your title says Java fern but you are discussing Java moss right?
Carol

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Oh no! I do that all the time If you could please fix it, I would greatly appreciate it

AmazonPassion

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I didn't even catch that. I automatically saw Java and Jaysee and remembered his RAOK about moss.

Btw..you can always edit your "Title" by going to the "Edit" button then to the "Go Advance"

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
AP beat me to it thanks. Just wanted to be sure before I edited your title LOl
carol

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks, I thought only mods had title-editing powers! Duly noted, and thanks for the fix

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom