How do you all catch these teeny tiny fry??????

1. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Long story short - My nearly empty 36 gallon ( has maybe 4 inches of water ) still has some zebra danio fry I am trying to catch. They have been in this tank unfiltered and unheated for 3 weeks now ( I moved all of the fish over to my new tank 3 weeks ago )

These were "surprise" and unexpected fry but I want to save as many as I can. I have been transferring them over to a cycled 5 gallon QT tank for over a week now. I think out of the 15 or so that I transferred over initially, 8 or so have so far survived.

I still have maybe 10 + fry left in the tank I want to catch but these things are SO FAST and so tiny! I can see them when I am looking at the tank from the front but I can't see them as well when looking from the top.

Ive been using a clear plastic cup to scoop them with ( I think a net would be worse )
    I'm really dying to empty this tank soon .

How do you catch these guys?????????

2. renthus Well Known Member Member

My suggestion? Get a really big net. Way bigger than you would usually use. Have it in the tank, unmoving, in the middle. Use the cup or your hand to chase the fry into the net, then swoop it up.

3. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I can't even see them! I thinks thats part of the big problem. My biggest net I have ( I think even the netting is too big and they will fit right through it ) THATS how small they are!!! Like little hairs with eyes :;eye

4. old hippy Member Member

5. eds48 Member Member

I think you should just skim them with a big net but like a meshy type net and go from one side of the tank to the other

6. claireputput Well Known Member Member

LOL! Just as soon as you figure it out, let me know because I have yet to catch more than 5 endlers at a time and that is not every time! :)

7. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Hmmm.... Going to have to try the net again......

I really need to empty this tank because NOW, I HAVE little white teeny tiny worms on my 5 gallon glass! ;:barf;:barf;:barf

I'm pretty sure they came from the 36 gallon being that its been stagnant water for 3 weeks ;:barf;:barf;:barf;:barf;:barf;:barf;:barf;:barf;:barf

8. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

You can't siphon these babies? The Endler fry treat it like a roller coaster. Whee!

9. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

You know, you may be on to something! YES! I will try that with the manual siphon. :)

10. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

See if you can get some video of that--I've never been ready when the Endler's go for a spin ;)

11. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Drain the tank as low as you can, then get a piece of plastic or something fish safe the width of the tank, I use a tank divider
    Start at one end of the tank & gently push the fish towards the other end until they're in a small area then you can net or syphon them out.
    You may miss a few first time but just repeat the process until you've got them all,

12. matsungit Well Known Member Member

13. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I actually was doing something similar to get the regular fish out ( any one every try and get tetras and danios out of a tank? OMG! It was easy doing it this way! I'm going to try that again and with the siphon to suck them out.

Those would have been a good idea 2 weeks ago! I just don't have the time or $$ right now to go and get these.
    I really never expected "fry" of all things.....
    I may get the pipettes though. I think my lfs sells them and I may even be able to get one or two without buying a whole bag.... They are really good to me ( I've given them tons of Assassins and even some Tiger barbs a while back ) so they have given me stuff for discount or free.

14. matsungit Well Known Member Member

If the ones your LFS carry are the same ones get a couple of them. These plastic pipettes will only last a couple months from daily use. I use them for feeding thawed out frozen food and injecting air bubbles to my CO2 indicator. They are disposable and will become brittle and crack over time.

15. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Thank you I will keep that in mind. :)

16. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Well I got the old 36 gallon drained after getting all of the fry I can see out of there. I think I only caught maybe 5 - they've been in there so long ( 3 weeks ) I can't believe any of them made it that long.

So I have about 10 fry that seem to be thriving in the 5 gallon. These ones seem to be growing every day and getting stronger. I bought some Hikari first bites fry food today. They seem to really like it and go to the surface when I am sprinkling it on the water. The stuff is like powder - very fine ;)

I hope these little guys survive! They are even coloring up and you can see streaks of silver/blue now :)