How do you adopt a bird?

101d

Hello, I’m curious as to where I could adopt a bird. I’ve had parakeets in the past, all from the pet store, and I’m entertaining the idea of adopting instead. Once in a while there will be a bird or two at my local animal shelter, but not very often.

MissNoodle

You could look into parrot groups on facebook for direction, or ask your local shelter if they know of any.

Most will want a home visit, so finding a long distance one may not be an easy thing.

You could always adopt a rehome, in which you'd look at ads on craigslist or kijijI etc. No shame in adopting that way too. This is probably the best way to go if you can't find an agency.

101d

You could look into parrot groups on facebook for direction, or ask your local shelter if they know of any.

Most will want a home visit, so finding a long distance one may not be an easy thing.

You could always adopt a rehome, in which you'd look at ads on craigslist or kijijI etc. No shame in adopting that way too. This is probably the best way to go if you can't find an agency.

Ok, thanks!

AngryRainbow

Try googling if there are any bird rescues near you. I got one of my cockatiels from a bird specific rescue that I found through Google and they had just about every kind of bird you can think of available.

Sien

Look at bird rescues online and craigslist. Just make sure you know what situation you are getting yourself into. I adopted a parakeet who had broken her wing in two places. She is fine now but very very scared of peoples hands and we have never been able to take her out/cuddle her since we got her (almost 2 years now). Luckily our other birds cage is right next to her so he keeps her company. Just know if you are getting a bird with PTSD it is a lot of work. Hopefully you can find one to adopt!

AngryRainbow

I agree with Sien. Not to deter you from adopting, but the cockatiel I adopted is also not social. She is terrified of hands, and only after 9 months of working with her I've gotten her to step up on my finger (only to be put back in the cage, not to take her out of the cage. Hands in the cage are still terrifying).

That being said, I knew this about her when I visited her at the rescue. She was meant to be a buddy for my existing cockatiel, who is a big mush and the most human attention crazed bird. I knew I wouldn't be able to give enough head scratches and time to two social birds, so I only wanted another bird as a friend for the current one. The rescue had other birds who were obviously hand-raised and wanted human interactions. So not every bird at rescues are nervous wrecks, but there are definitely some. Depending on the rescue, you may be able to go and visit a location with multiple birds and see how you match with them.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • mimo91088
  • Bird
Replies
Views
fishbreeeder
  • gremlin
  • Bird
Replies
Views
Nealdesai