• Other Method(s) (please specify)

Votes: 22 6.8%

• Total voters

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wondering how you acclimate new fish arrivals....

Cup/Bucket Method - put bag contents in a clean bucket, add water at periodic intervals to get fish acclimated.

Drip Method - Use a drip loop to slowly drip acclimate the fish over a period of time while in a bucket.

Floating Bag Method - what a lot of chain stores tell you to do.... float the bag in the top of the tank for awhile until the temperature is the same, hopefully slowly adding tank water to the bag too over the acclimation time period..

Other Methods - what exactly do you do to acclimate new arrivals? How is it better or how does it differ from the other listed methods?

If interested, here is the Fishlore article on acclimating: Acclimating Fish to Your Aquarium

Thanks!
Mike

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Floating bag method for me. I cut the bag open put a drop of prime in and add some water every 10 minutes for 30-40 minutes then pour the bag out over a bucket with a net on top to catch the fish and to not get any fish store water in my tanks and have always had good results

pagoda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Floating bag......the only downside I have noted on occasions is when the fish inside the bag refuses to wait for the appropriate water mixings and temperature balances....they get bored of waiting and leap out of the bag as soon as my back is turned, then make stupid faces at me "neh neh neh I sneaked in when you weren't watching me" :p

Canaculus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I use the bag method and I slowly add cups of water.
It's the best of both worlds IMHO.

AcuarioAmazonico

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I won’t lie - I chuck them in. My LfS is literally down the road and has exact same ph as my water. I throw them in and have never lost one.
Shrimp or snails get gradual exposure but all fish are straight into the tank (lights off and after a feed).

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Before I knew what I was doing I did the same thing as AcuarioAmazonico but I'd float the bag first. I never lost one. Now I do the bag method. float the bag for ~15 min the open the top and pour a little in every 5 min or so. Then when the bag is 3/4 full I empty out half of the water and do the same thing again. Then I pour all of the water with the fish into the tank.

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Depends on how I get the fish,

If they have been shipped to me or if they have been in the bag for a while I will just float them and plop them right in.
If I get them from my LFS then I will do the cup and bucket method because the ammonia is not that bad.

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
For me it depends on the fish and how I get it- anything slightly expensive is floating bag method, any thing really expensive drip of floating bad.

From LFS I just pop them in after temp acclimation and same for shipping.

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It depends, I drip and float, depending on what I'm acclimating. Sometimes it isn't even necessary to acclimate

StarGirl15

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I plop and drop fish. I think my Lfs is the same water. I have only lost Rummies doing this. However the RCS I just got I dripped for almost 2 hours.

Wow that similar threads on the side is screwing me up today! :oops:

bogmummy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I clip the back to the back of the tank and float it, but leave it open so I can gradually add water with a syringe.

MacZ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Let them temperature acclimate floating, but then I put them in a bucket for the cup-method, and finally pour them in a net and release them in the tank.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I float and dump. No adding water. I dump even the water in. So far no issues. To me there is nothing in the water that isnt already in the fish.

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My LFS used ro water and I don't so I have to acclimate them properly.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I cut the bag open, pour the fish into the net, and plop it in the tank. Quick and easy and takes only 4 secs of my life.

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Amazoniantanklvr said:
My LFS used ro water and I don't so I have to acclimate them properly.
You saying you use RO too?

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
FinalFins said:
You saying you use RO too?
My LFS uses ro water. I don't.

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Modified Plop & Drop. I buy locally.
My tank water had better be purer than the LFS, or I'm doing something wrong. Lol.
I make sure the display tank is a little warmer than the water in the fish bag.
Discard the bag water. Put the new fish in a big net & hang the net into the water outflow.
I allow the fish to stay in the net for approx. 30 min. This gives the tankmates & newcomer a chance to check each other out before releasing.

SeaMonkey06

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It depends on what I'm acclimating.

I usually use the bucket method (adding water every 10 minutes or so for about half an hour, then scooping them in), but sometimes I'll just go with the float the bag for about 30 minutes and add water to make life a bit easier.

Joshaeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I usually use the bucket and cup method. I also add a drop or two of prime to neutralize any ammonia in the shipping/pet store water.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads