• Drip Method

Votes: 61 15.8%
  • Floating Bag Method

Votes: 253 65.4%
  • Other Method(s) (please specify)

Votes: 23 5.9%

• Total voters

Mike

Wondering how you acclimate new fish arrivals....

Cup/Bucket Method - put bag contents in a clean bucket, add water at periodic intervals to get fish acclimated.

Drip Method - Use a drip loop to slowly drip acclimate the fish over a period of time while in a bucket.

Floating Bag Method - what a lot of chain stores tell you to do.... float the bag in the top of the tank for awhile until the temperature is the same, hopefully slowly adding tank water to the bag too over the acclimation time period..

Other Methods - what exactly do you do to acclimate new arrivals? How is it better or how does it differ from the other listed methods?

If interested, here is the Fishlore article on acclimating: Acclimating Fish to Your Aquarium

Thanks!
Mike

kallililly1973

Floating bag method for me. I cut the bag open put a drop of prime in and add some water every 10 minutes for 30-40 minutes then pour the bag out over a bucket with a net on top to catch the fish and to not get any fish store water in my tanks and have always had good results

pagoda

Floating bag......the only downside I have noted on occasions is when the fish inside the bag refuses to wait for the appropriate water mixings and temperature balances....they get bored of waiting and leap out of the bag as soon as my back is turned, then make stupid faces at me "neh neh neh I sneaked in when you weren't watching me" :p

Cheesecake

I use the bag method and I slowly add cups of water.
It's the best of both worlds IMHO.

AcuarioAmazonico

I won’t lie - I chuck them in. My LfS is literally down the road and has exact same ph as my water. I throw them in and have never lost one.
Shrimp or snails get gradual exposure but all fish are straight into the tank (lights off and after a feed).

Amazoniantanklvr

Before I knew what I was doing I did the same thing as AcuarioAmazonico but I'd float the bag first. I never lost one. Now I do the bag method. float the bag for ~15 min the open the top and pour a little in every 5 min or so. Then when the bag is 3/4 full I empty out half of the water and do the same thing again. Then I pour all of the water with the fish into the tank.

NC122606

Depends on how I get the fish,

If they have been shipped to me or if they have been in the bag for a while I will just float them and plop them right in.
If I get them from my LFS then I will do the cup and bucket method because the ammonia is not that bad.

FinalFins

For me it depends on the fish and how I get it- anything slightly expensive is floating bag method, any thing really expensive drip of floating bad.

From LFS I just pop them in after temp acclimation and same for shipping.

AJE

It depends, I drip and float, depending on what I'm acclimating. Sometimes it isn't even necessary to acclimate

StarGirl

I plop and drop fish. I think my Lfs is the same water. I have only lost Rummies doing this. However the RCS I just got I dripped for almost 2 hours.

Wow that similar threads on the side is screwing me up today! :oops:

bogmummy

I clip the back to the back of the tank and float it, but leave it open so I can gradually add water with a syringe.

MacZ

Let them temperature acclimate floating, but then I put them in a bucket for the cup-method, and finally pour them in a net and release them in the tank.

david1978

I float and dump. No adding water. I dump even the water in. So far no issues. To me there is nothing in the water that isn't already in the fish.

Amazoniantanklvr

My LFS used ro water and I don't so I have to acclimate them properly.

goldface

I cut the bag open, pour the fish into the net, and plop it in the tank. Quick and easy and takes only 4 secs of my life.

FinalFins

Amazoniantanklvr said:
My LFS used ro water and I don't so I have to acclimate them properly.
You saying you use RO too?

Amazoniantanklvr

FinalFins said:
You saying you use RO too?
My LFS uses ro water. I don't.

A201

Modified Plop & Drop. I buy locally.
My tank water had better be purer than the LFS, or I'm doing something wrong. Lol.
I make sure the display tank is a little warmer than the water in the fish bag.
Discard the bag water. Put the new fish in a big net & hang the net into the water outflow.
I allow the fish to stay in the net for approx. 30 min. This gives the tank mates & newcomer a chance to check each other out before releasing.

SeaMonkey06

It depends on what I'm acclimating.

I usually use the bucket method (adding water every 10 minutes or so for about half an hour, then scooping them in), but sometimes I'll just go with the float the bag for about 30 minutes and add water to make life a bit easier.

Joshaeus

I usually use the bucket and cup method. I also add a drop or two of prime to neutralize any ammonia in the shipping/pet store water.

Cody

StarGirl15 said:
I plop and drop fish. I think my Lfs is the same water. I have only lost Rummies doing this. However the RCS I just got I dripped for almost 2 hours.

Wow that similar threads on the side is screwing me up today! :oops:
This seems to be something being more widely accepted and recommended. a couple YouTube channels I follow swear by this.

StarGirl

Cody said:
This seems to be something being more widely accepted and recommended. a couple YouTube channels I follow swear by this.
I think a lot of us older fish keepers have been doing this for a long time. Its not a new thing. It was just poo pahed for awhile. lol

Cody

L
StarGirl15 said:
I think a lot of us older fish keepers have been doing this for a long time. Its not a new thing. It was just poo pahed for awhile. lol
Yeah just keep have to keep it a secret until someone online says its cool and then it’s okay to admit to it LOL

mattgirl

Float the bag to match the temp and then dump them in water and all. The last fish I got were some mollies. I did the whole add water to the bag thing and within a few days I had lost most of the mollies. :( Now I am back to the way I've always done it.

StarGirl

Cody said:
L

Yeah just keep have to keep it a secret until someone online says its cool and then it’s okay to admit to it LOL
Nope we usually admit it....lol

IHaveADogToo

Floating bag method for me in most cases, unless it's a shrimp or a sensitive species like a puffer, then I drip acclimate.

ghostdawg

scarface said:
I cut the bag open, pour the fish into the net, and plop it in the tank.
Do you float the bag before adding the fish?

Rcslade124

Float bag to temp acclimate then pour into a strainer and dip strainer in water and let them swim off. Especially when I order online. The fish has been in the water for days low oxygen and lower pH. Once oxygen gets added to the bag pH rises and ammonia becomes more toxic.

AvalancheDave

Rcslade124 said:
Float bag to temp acclimate then pour into a strainer and dip strainer in water and let them swim off. Especially when I order online. The fish has been in the water for days low oxygen and lower pH. Once oxygen gets added to the bag pH rises and ammonia becomes more toxic.
Oxygen doesn't really affect pH.

Fishtine

Funny, I just ran across this video a couple days ago and it made me rethink my slow water additions method:

Rcslade124

AvalancheDave said:
Oxygen doesn't really affect pH.
When a bag is sealed and the oxygen slowly depletes the carbon dioxide builds and lowers pH.

jinjerJOSH22

I float em then chuck em in.
I discard the water, I don’t need it, the tanks usually have water in them :D

AvalancheDave

Rcslade124 said:
When a bag is sealed and the oxygen slowly depletes the carbon dioxide builds and lowers pH.
That's more correct.

AvalancheDave

Fishtine said:
Funny, I just ran across this video a couple days ago and it made me rethink my slow water additions method:
It's trendy. It's on Youtube. Is it correct? I have my doubts.

One study used NaOH to absorb CO2 and dramatically increased the survival rate of fish in transport. That's like opening the bag not just at the destination but during the whole trip.

Mandy627

When I get a new gardnerI killI pair I usually take them out right away because they are usually in such foul water. Otherwise I do drip method or float bag. Depends on the fish and how much you spent I say.

Sanderguy777

I float the bag for about 15 min, then dump the water through a net and put the fish in the tank.
I think the drip method would be my second choice, but all the water around my area is about the same, so this works well for me.

goldface

ghostdawg said:
Do you float the bag before adding the fish?
If I feel there is a large difference in temp, but normally no.

Fishtine

AvalancheDave said:
It's trendy. It's on Youtube. Is it correct? I have my doubts.
To be fair, that video is five years old and he exclusively interviewed people who had been professionals in the industry for years already at that time! I personally was surprised because the newer, trendier suggestion is drip acclimating, from what I usually see.

AvalancheDave

Fishtine said:
To be fair, that video is five years old and he exclusively interviewed people who had been professionals in the industry for years already at that time! I personally was surprised because the newer, trendier suggestion is drip acclimating, from what I usually see.
Drop or plop is the newer, trendier, "woke" method.

86 ssinit

For me it’s how long the fish has been in the bag. Within an hour I temp match the bag and slowly spill the bag amount of water in. If 3-4hrs I take longer adding water anything over I temp match bag than open and spill fish into bucket than remove from first bucket right away and add to tank water bucket. Let sit for 5-10min than add to QT tank :).

Top Bottom