How do ya'll clean your hoods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
With vinegar I'm assuming, but maybe there is a certain way to do it...
My glass hood is disgusting! It has salt, algae and all kinds of nasty stuff built up on it. It decreases the light's potential, and my live plants are suffering because of it.
I'm gonna' let it go without a hood for a while, even though it will make the temp colder and let the water evaporate faster, but whatever it takes to keep the plants alive...

I've used vinegar to clean the hood before with great success. Not as great as it should have been, but it did good. I guess you should soak the glass in the vinegar, because I just poured it on out in the yard and scrubbed with a wash-rag until the crud started to come off, took a while and killed my shoulders, but I did a good job...Then the house smelled like vinegar for a week!

So how exactly do you guys do it?

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you're totally removing the glass hood from the tank you could probably use a 1:1 mixture of rubbing alcohol and water, then rinse really really really really really well. I've found that mix to work better than any commercial product like Windex. Or better yet, use a mix of baking soda and water. The baking soda is a slight abrasive that will cut through the crusted schmuck. I can't remember the ratio, but a little googling will turn it up.

Are you using straight vinegar or doing a 1:1 mix with water? The 1:1 mix is best. Using a newspaper for some reason gets glass cleaner than a paper towel or cloth.

-Lisa

OP
BennyB

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I was pouring straight apple cider vinegar onto that hood. I tried to let it sit for a few minutes, but my front yard is on a hill so it was all running off the sides!

I'll look up some more on that baking soda combo, sounds nice and safe.

OP
BennyB

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Lol, I fail...

That really is all we had though, no white vinegar, we were all out at the time.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I buy white vinegar in bulk at Costco because I use it for so many things. It's an awesome weed killer, kills mold and mildew in the shower, it's anti-bacterial but safe around food, pets and people unlike bleach: it's a great fabric softener, ant repeller, and many many more!

-Lisa

OP
BennyB

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
And it's natural made, so it's good for the environment. Not that I really care, just throwing that in.

So I just tried the baking soda paste, IT WORKED AMAZINGLY! The hood went from "I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole." to "What hood? Oh, it's so clean I didn't see it!"
Hah...

My tank is oober bright now.

kuhliLoachFan

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I like to get a strip of paper towel and soak it with vinegar, then I let that strip of vinegar soaked paper towel lie on my glass panel on my hood or wherever the mineral deposits are. This gives the vinegar time to go to work. Otherwise it just runs off. It will do most of the work for you, if you just keep it in contact with your glass, and your plastic hood. If you had a 80 gallon bucket of vinegar, I bet you could just dip anything dirty and it would come out clean, an hour later. The paper towel method uses way less vinegar, but basically is as good as a vinegar dip.

I also do the same thing to clean tanks when they are empty. The parts with mineral buildup get a paper towel stuck to the sides of the tank, soaked with vinegar.

Warren

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I put the hood in the bath or in the yard, depending on the weather, and splash vinegar across it. I then walk away.
If it's really bad, I'll actually do a vinegar bath in a large container.
Either way, after an hour or so, I'll take a rag to it. The crud usually just wipes off without any issues. I rinse a few times, then call it good.

OP
BennyB

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If only vinegar wasn't so darn stinky! I bring it into the house and it smells for a week! D:<
I do like the baking soda, it worked pretty good. I didn't let it sit for more than 10 minutes, but in that short amount of time it worked pretty well.

brokenwing

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If you look at doctor foster and smith they have something called a kent pro scraper. This thing works great. I take the hood out, and it scrapes the algea and hard water deposits right off the glass, leaving no scrathces. This thing has been a life saver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 68 67.3%

Top Bottom