how do u change your water?

saints day eve

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Im doing mine now (12% or so) just thinking how everyone did theres. Im 3x a week on mine:

10-15% tuesday
Same thursday

20-25 % saturdays

Whats your way of change?

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
25-30% on Sundays. Is there a reason you are doing them that often?

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Three times a week does seem a bit excessive... I do 25-40% on Saturday mornings.

alink

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Once every 10-14 days. 50%. Siphon out the patio door, python to fill it.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I was doing 50% a week but now that I have so many plants and my nitrates are barely rising I am going to once every two weeks. I do use polyfilter to absorb organics also and R/O re-mineralized for top offs.

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
See that's the problem I'm having, as you can see in my Flourish Nitrogen thread.
My tap has 5.0ppm nitrates so at least my top offs feed the plants
But its been 9 days since I did my water change and my tank is at 7.5ppm nitrates, which I'm thrilled about and was the whole point of planting the tank in addition to enjoyment. But trying to figure out the right schedule for health of the fish. I know the plants overall make the tank much healthier and I'm adding in back in replenish for calcium/magnesium. Interestingly enough I tested my alkalinity today and it has dropped about 40ppm from 180 or so down to 140. Maybe I'll be putting some crushed coral in my tank too if I'm doing less water changes! My ph has remained high though. Normally about 8.4, right now 8.2.

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I would like to limit water changes to twice a week also but wouldn't if it affected the fishes health negatively. How does Walstad maintain the minerals in her method, or does she use stuff like Replenish?
I read her book but don't remember. My guess is she used a layer of argonite or something in there. She only did water changes like once every 6 months but it was a very particular eco system where the plants out numbered fish and their bio load to a pretty big extent. She didn't use any additives like fertilizers either. She felt the decomposing fish waste was enough.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
See that's the problem I'm having, as you can see in my Flourish Nitrogen thread.
I would like to limit water changes to twice a week also but wouldn't if it affected the fishes health negatively. How does Walstad maintain the minerals in her method, or does she use stuff like Replenish?
**Please keep this in your own thread.**
Asking questions in someone else's thread takes the focus on of the original post.

Original question:

Saint's day eve said:
how do u change your water?
Im doing mine now (12% or so) just thinking how everyone did theres. Im 3x a week on mine:

10-15% tuesday
Same thursday

20-25 % saturdays

Whats your way of change?

leftswerve

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Currently at 2x20% a week. I do it in two intervals because 3 5g buckets of water is enough to carry at one time.
I also do it twice to control nitrates, I'm working on other methods (more plants and denitrate filter). Yes, I overfeed, i deal with it (so does my tank)

franksaquarium

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Once a week, 75%, using a Python Clean-n-Fill to drain. I have a 60 gallon vessel that I fill beforehand, and use that to refill the tanks. If that runs out I use plain tap water to refill. I do tend to feed heavily, so this works for me. I use sodium thiosulphate to eliminate chlorine.

Frank

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom