how do u change your water?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by saints day eve, Jul 9, 2015.

1. s

saints day eve Valued Member Member

Im doing mine now (12% or so) just thinking how everyone did theres. Im 3x a week on mine:

10-15% tuesday
    Same thursday

20-25 % saturdays

Whats your way of change?

2. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Once a week, on Thursday. I usually take out around 25%, but probably a little more than that sometimes lol!

3. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

25-30% on Sundays. Is there a reason you are doing them that often?

4. LeoDiaz

LeoDiaz Fishlore VIP Member

Same lol but i do more around 40-45%

5. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I do 40-50% weekly on my tanks

6. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Three times a week does seem a bit excessive... I do 25-40% on Saturday mornings.

7. alink

alink Well Known Member Member

Once every 10-14 days. 50%. Siphon out the patio door, python to fill it.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

8. d

dopieopie New Member Member

I usually do 20-30 percent weekly.

If I get busy and do a biweekly I'll do about 30-40.

9. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

I was doing 50% a week but now that I have so many plants and my nitrates are barely rising I am going to once every two weeks. I do use polyfilter to absorb organics also and R/O re-mineralized for top offs.

10. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Once a week on Sundays, 20%.

11. Dom90

See that's the problem I'm having, as you can see in my Flourish Nitrogen thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

12. CindiL

My tap has 5.0ppm nitrates so at least my top offs feed the plants :)
    But its been 9 days since I did my water change and my tank is at 7.5ppm nitrates, which I'm thrilled about and was the whole point of planting the tank in addition to enjoyment. But trying to figure out the right schedule for health of the fish. I know the plants overall make the tank much healthier and I'm adding in back in replenish for calcium/magnesium. Interestingly enough I tested my alkalinity today and it has dropped about 40ppm from 180 or so down to 140. Maybe I'll be putting some crushed coral in my tank too if I'm doing less water changes! My ph has remained high though. Normally about 8.4, right now 8.2.

13. Dom90

I would like to limit water changes to twice a week also but wouldn't if it affected the fishes health negatively. How does Walstad maintain the minerals in her method, or does she use stuff like Replenish?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

14. CindiL

I read her book but don't remember. My guess is she used a layer of argonite or something in there. She only did water changes like once every 6 months but it was a very particular eco system where the plants out numbered fish and their bio load to a pretty big extent. She didn't use any additives like fertilizers either. She felt the decomposing fish waste was enough.

15. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

**Please keep this in your own thread.**
    Asking questions in someone else's thread takes the focus on of the original post.

Original question:

16. OP
    OP
    s

saints day eve Valued Member Member

I was use to a really overstocked where i did it 3x a week..i just kept the habit

17. leftswerve

leftswerve Well Known Member Member

Currently at 2x20% a week. I do it in two intervals because 3 5g buckets of water is enough to carry at one time.
    I also do it twice to control nitrates, I'm working on other methods (more plants and denitrate filter). Yes, I overfeed, i deal with it (so does my tank)

18. franksaquarium

franksaquarium New Member Member

Once a week, 75%, using a Python Clean-n-Fill to drain. I have a 60 gallon vessel that I fill beforehand, and use that to refill the tanks. If that runs out I use plain tap water to refill. I do tend to feed heavily, so this works for me. I use sodium thiosulphate to eliminate chlorine.

Frank

19. KingD

KingD Fishlore VIP Member

I do 50% water changes weekly on Sundays sometimes bi-weekly

20. slayer5590

slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

70-80% every thursday

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice