how do they know zucchini is food?

1. k9z3boys Member Member

I would assume they smell it.... or are they naturally curious and suck on anything? or is it purely accidental, like the filter or tubing then go '...wait....this is food.....this is tasty!!..'

put a decent sized ( for 6 otos) in the bottom with a sinker weight... we will see if they find it.

is the same thing for the plecos-- do they smell it and it smells yummy or purely accidental?

2. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

They usually don't know it right away, but they catch on. And when they do catch on, look out. My old pleco (poor Pleco Bill has passed) would be out of his log and across the tank before I even had the food clip buried.

3. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I believe it takes them awhile to figure out its food. Mine ( when first introduced to them veggies ) took a few days and then by that time, ALL of my snails, pleco and even fish were picking at the food.

My snails and pleco seem to really like pumpkins and squash too :)

4. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Oto's can take a while to realise it's food, always put it in the same place & if you can, put it about halfway up the tank as they're more comfortable off the floor.
    When I put it in for mine it's barely there for a few minutes & they're all over it