How Do They Do This? 55 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by bolivianbaby, Dec 30, 2009.

1. bolivianbaby

bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

I siphoned free-swimming fry from the gold/blue JD pair on 12/14/09. Eggs were laid, I saw them 3-4 days ago. I've been expecting them to turn white since it hasn't been that long since the last spawn. The eggs are now wiggling. Apparently, they're fertile.

The last spawn is still doing well. I'm growing them out in a separate tank atm. I'm guessing they'll be available for their new homes in May or June for any Fishlorians who want some. I'm guessing we have around 20 survivors atm.

So, for my poor little "golden girl"-do I remove these fry when they're free-swimming and raise them or should I leave them in there so (provided they don't eat them) mama can have a break? What is best for her? I'm looking forward to seeing what their babies look like so I'd like to raise this batch, too, but I don't want her "overbreeding" and possibly shortening her life span? Yes, I'm a dork, but I REALLY want what's best for my fish.

2. steed1172

steed1172Well Known MemberMember

being a dork is cool :;smack...and yes fish that breed often have a shorter life span if not given some time off.

3. OP
    OP
    bolivianbaby

Thanks, Steed!

She moved them and I haven't seen them out yet. I'm really hoping there are still fry so mom and dad slow down on the breeding. I don't want to separate a bonded pair if I can help it.

The last time I saw them was December 30. That was when I saw the eggs wiggling a bit. Mom has been hiding and only comes out to feed.

Dad's been out and about and really not doing that much guarding.

If the fry are still okay, how soon before Mom brings them out? I don't want to go searching because I don't want to add stress to the tank.

4. steed1172

well im no JD breeder... but i read that 8 days after eggs are layed they swim around... sooo that would be around now, so maybe try and sneak a peak at the tank from time to time.

5. btate617

btate617Well Known MemberMember

6. steed1172

hmmmm.... well putting aside the pet idea and giong out into the "wild" take in mind that the life cycle of a fish(small ones) are the parents reproduce, then die or get eaten, and their fry does the same, die or get eaten, some live and manage to start this "cycle" again. so the older fish may not even live that long in the wild due to the "bigger fish" concept or another animal comes and snatches the fishy up(yumm nom nom).

idk it all made sense to me awhile ago...(and still does a little..) salmon go through my mind atm... they swim upstream spawn... then die, lawl... killifish, spawn in the mud before the water dries up- and died(and ive HEARD they die if they spawn in an aquarium even though they have water...HEARD not know for fact)

they spawn to continue, fish an aquarium can spawn at will, theres no life threatening animals after them(or droughts to cause lack of water) so they just reproduce like mad,for me im happy wiff dat.(VERY LONG POST LOL)

7. Amanda

AmandaFishlore VIPMember

I think we need to take into consideration that these fish are NOT in the wild - one of the strains BB has bred doesn't even exist in the wild. So these fish are far from their wild cousins.
    Also, the conditions are much different than those of their natural habitat. The female cannot really get away from the male even if she chose, like she could if she was in a large river. I think that's what needs to be taken into consideration here - not the "wild factor" that everyone loves to bring up when it comes to animal breeding & care.

8. CHoffman

CHoffmanFishlore VIPMember

Your JD's sound like mine BB..lol..They just keep putting them out there. But I leave mine in the tank (120) because I have NOOOOO room for more babies right now so they get eaten after awhile and it keeps mom and dad busy guarding them and taking care of them so they don't breed too often. I say since your already growing out some babies from this pair leave the others in there and see if it helps shorten the time between spawnings. When you remove the babies the dad is usually ready to spawn again pretty quickly and mom may not be so spunky. The males can cause serious stress to the females.

Wild or aquarium raised if a male is chasing after a single female (which usually doesn't happen in the wild because we all know there are many fish in the sea :p) over and over again before the female is ready there can be aggression issues and stress to the female which IMO translates into a unhappy fish. BB just wants to keep her fish happy. So I would say Brians advice about leaving fry in or even pulling dad (which didn't work for me and the jewels they just got VERY stressed) Good luck BB. Keep us posted.

9. OP
    OP
    bolivianbaby

Thanks, Cesch:;hug2

Good news, everyone! The babies are out and about. Mom and Dad are guarding them closely, so now that I know everyone is safe, I'm going to leave the babies in there. Hopefully, this will decrease the breeding and give Mom a bit of a break.

10. CHoffman

CHoffmanFishlore VIPMember

I think that will work great!!. For some reason dad's just don't like new babies when they still have some at home..lol.

11. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning BB. Congrats on the new fry! Yeah!!!!!!!!!!
    Ken

12. OP
    OP
    bolivianbaby

Thanks, Ken:;hug2

13. btate617

I agree with lots of what you say, But an actual large number of fish make it to reproduce themselves. And salmon are just a strange bunch. even in the aquarium you have to provide the right balance for many fish.

I don't believe I played the wild card.
    I believe my point was having a fish breed back to back will not shorten its life span. The point I was making and or trying to understand was...if this is true than all fish in the wild will have a shortened life unless we step in and keep them from breeding so often.

Brian

14. btate617

Good luck with them.

15. OP
    OP
    bolivianbaby

Thanks, Brian:;hug2 I don't know what it is about baby fish, but they're just so cute:;a So far, the JD babies are cuter than the cons (at least to me). Maybe because they look like little swimming zebras:;laughing

16. redlessi

redlessiWell Known MemberMember

Congrats on the new babies, I agree the babies are soooo cute.

17. Amanda

AmandaFishlore VIPMember

I think we need a WHOLE bunch of pics of the babies & proud parents. ;)

18. OP
    OP
    bolivianbaby

Thanks, Reds:;hug2

I tried to get a few videos earlier and they came out too dark:;fru. The only one that showed up was Mom.

I will keep working on it. Unfortunately, I have to work tomorrow, but hopefully they'll close the office early (we're expected to get snow, sleet down here) and I'll have some brightness to work with. If not, I'll try Friday or over the weekend.

I need to try to get another video of the babies I'm growing out. I'm hoping to re-home a few with some fellow Fishlorians (nudge, nudge);)

19. Amanda

AmandaFishlore VIPMember

Oh nudge, nudge back at you! lol
    I can't wait for spring either you know! A bunch of new babies for me! ;D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice