How do the Zebra Nerite Snails' eggs look like?

Vash

I found some 1mm white round dots on some of my decorations and on the glass. I couldn't figure out what they are. And then, I thought about maybe they are snails eggs?

How do Zebra Nerite eggs' look like?

JRDroid

Nerites do not reproduce in freshwater. Plus snails tend to lay eggs on the glass, so while I'm not sure what exactly their eggs like, I do not think they are snail eggs

Vash

From what I hear, they do lay eggs in freshwater but they just won't hatch. It was also said they lay eggs everywhere.

Besides, I still have some left over salt in my water from the ick treatment.

JRDroid

They may be eggs then.

Side note, The salt you use to treat ich is not the same as the salt people use to make saltwater, so the eggs still won't be fertile.

Vash

I need to see a photo of their eggs to confirm it.

There aren't that many. Just 20 or so in total. Only 2 of them are on the glass.

As for the salt, it said it's made straight from sea water.

JRDroid

Snail eggs

Aquarist

Good morning,

In the link above it states that these snails need brackish water to spawn successfully.

Ken

Vash

Those are exactly what I have. Two dots are on the glass, rest of them are on some rocks.

Good morning,

In the link above it states that these snails need brackish water to spawn successfully.

Ken

I am not worried about them not be able to spawn successfully lol. From what I hear, these eggs will be really hard to remove. That's what I am worry about. It's not going to be a pretty sight to see once they lay more of them everywhere.

Vash

Just found more and more zebra nerite eggs. It's getting annoying lol. My driftwood is full of them now. Found 10+ new eggs on the glass...I mean acrylic. I heard it's really hard to get ride of them, and I can't scratch on the acrylic.

Elodea

Hmmm, this sounds annoying. My nerite snails have never laid eggs, so I have no experience reoviong them. My best guess is to try to pluck them off with a pair of tweezers?

Vash

From what I read so far, you can't even scratch them off. Most likely they will not hatch and will rot away, but there will be some left over shells of the egg remain there whether or not they hatch or rot. REALLY hard to get ride of.

Just counted 27 eggs on the acrylic. Some new ones on the heater.

Lucy

Which tank is this? You mention salt. Have you been adding it to the tank?
Is it made for the aquarium or is it kitchen sea salt?

Vash

The 40 gallon acrylic.

It's the left over salt from ick treatment. There is still maybe 6 teaspoons of salt in there. It was API Aquarium salt.

bass master

Nerites will spawn in freshwater, the eggs just usually don't hatch. After about a week the eggs will fall off the glass and usually get eaten. After a while eggs production should go down as well, I'm guessing less algae=less food=less egg production. Ive had some success scrubbing the eggs off with a course pad or scratching them off with my finger nail, I'm pretty sure that would be ok on acrylic. Personally I think the eggs are less of an annoyance than algae, so I keep the nerites around

jerilovesfrogs

yes they are nerite eggs. I find them all the time. I leave them soemtimes....but if they are in an annoying place, I'll pick them off with my nail. they won't hatch, as you know.

Vash

I can't use finger nails. My acrylic tank was easily scratched by paper towel and "acrylic cleaner".

jerilovesfrogs

I guess you'll have to put up with them then!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
  • Question
  • Schatzi92
  • Algae
Replies