How do the fish know which specie of fish they are themselves?

Vash

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So many schooling fish will school with their own kind. Some schooling nippers will be more nippy if they don't have enough same specie in their group.

How do they know who they are themselves? They don't even have a mirror to look at themselves. How in the world they can tell which group they belong to in an aquarium with many different species?

Didn't we say that humans are different because we are "self-aware"? Do those people just assume animals don't know who they are?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
D N A. And yes, they assume that. I believe each animal is self-aware.

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Many animals are very instinctual and just know "who" they are. They also give out chemical signals and distinctive calls to communicate with their own kind. There are some things that I can't even fathom about the animal world, like how cicadas stay underground for exactly 17 years (or 13 years for some species) and all manage come up at the same exact time. Even scientists don't understand how or why. That's just my .02

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
They are programmed to respond to a particular shape, a particular pheromone, or a particular type of movement. Color may be a factor in some cases, but many schooling fish pay little or no attention to color.

Human babies have the ability to recognize things that they have not yet had a chance to learn. Things like certain emotions, related faces, and the like. It's instinctive.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
mermaid magic.

Paigee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Haha I like jetajockey's answer. I was going to say instincts, just like how a herding dog, even if not trained, wants to herd things (which ends up being their owners )

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads