How do sponge filters work??

Wiss1

Hoping to eventually move our platy to the main new tank and use our little 12l one for a betta. Been looking in to sponge filters ( looks like just a round sponge with an air tube sticking out top! ) how do they work??? They don’t seem to have a plug on?

StarGirl

Hoping to eventually move our platy to the main new tank and use our little 12l one for a betta. Been looking in to sponge filters ( looks like just a round sponge with an air tube sticking out top! ) how do they work??? They don’t seem to have a plug on?
You have to plug a air pump to it. The air line goes into the tube and pulls water up through the sponge with the bubbles. It gets bacteria built on it just like a regular filter.

Wiss1

You have to plug a air pump to it. The air line goes into the tube and pulls water up through the sponge with the bubbles. It gets bacteria built on it just like a regular filter.
Ahhh ok so it is just the air line - no plug. The sounds good the first a betta. I couldn’t wirk out how it would “suck” !

StarGirl

Yeah they are good for bettas because they dont have a lot of flow. But they work great. I would hook it up in your established tank and get it seeded for about a month or so first.

Wiss1

Yeah they are good for bettas because they dont have a lot of flow. But they work great. I would hook it up in your established tank and get it seeded for about a month or so first.
Great thank you, yes was thinking I’d need to have it running alongside my current filter for a while.

ruud

I never get used to the sound made by air-powered sponge filters.
If your tank is in your living or bedroom... perhaps watch a couple of YouTube vids with sound on.

StarGirl

Trick is to get the smallest pump you can to run the sponge, smaller the quieter. Hang it suspended in mid air touching NOTHING not even the cord. I hang it from a push pin under my stand. I have a tetra pump I think its the smallest one. It runs 2 and is relatively quiet. The 60 is ridiculous loud.

MasterPython

To make them run quieter you can buy a small airstone and figure out how to install it inside the filter.

Wiss1

I never get used to the sound made by air-powered sponge filters.
If your tank is in your living or bedroom... perhaps watch a couple of YouTube vids with sound on.
It’s in my sons bedroom but he did have the filter and air stone running and now has 2 filters. I might watch a vid though. All the ads say they are really quiet?? Our little air pump that currently runs the air stone is quite quiet,I don’t know if it’s strong enough to run the filter though. We only need the small filter so maybe.

StarGirl

It’s in my sons bedroom but he did have the filter and air stone running and now has 2 filters. I might watch a vid though. All the ads say they are really quiet?? Our little air pump that currently runs the air stone is quite quiet,I don’t know if it’s strong enough to run the filter though. We only need the small filter so maybe.
The ALL say they are really quiet.....lol :hilarious:

Wiss1

To make them run quieter you can buy a small airstone and figure out how to install it inside the filter.
I thought you did put air stone in anyway?

Pawfly Aquarium Nano Bio Sponge Filter Quiet Betta Fry Shrimp and Small Fish Foam Filter for Tiny Fish Tank up to 10 Gallon Pawfly Aquarium Nano Bio Sponge Filter Quiet Betta Fry Shrimp and Small Fish Foam Filter for Tiny Fish Tank up to 10 Gallon : Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies
The ALL say they are really quiet.....lol :hilarious:
That is true lol!!

StarGirl

There is just a little post inside the clear tube on the top, the air hose hooks to. You can MOD it to put a airstone inside. I didnt notice much difference when I did it myself.

Wiss1

There is just a little post inside the clear tube on the top, the air hose hooks to. You can MOD it to put a airstone inside. I didnt notice much difference when I did it myself.
Ok I’ll you tube how to mod it, is it oxygenated enough without the bubbles?

StarGirl

Ok I’ll you tube how to mod it, is it oxygenated enough without the bubbles?
It will have bubbles by itself without the airstone so yes. I will take a pic when I get home.
20211010_154337.jpg

Wiss1

It will have bubbles by itself without the airstone so yes. I will take a pic when I get home.
20211010_154337.jpg
Ahhh ok I didn’t realise that. Thank you

jtjgg

the air pump pushes air down into the sponge. as the air bubbles leave the sponge and rises up towards the surface, they create a vacuum in the middle of the sponge, drawing in water from the sides of the sponge.

Wiss1

the air pump pushes air down into the sponge. as the air bubbles leave the sponge and rises up towards the surface, they create a vacuum in the middle of the sponge, drawing in water from the sides of the sponge.
Ahhh ok thank you….. never was very good at physics lol!!!! Wondered how putting air in was going to “suck” ha ha

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
PunyFish
Replies
Views
coralbandit
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies