How Do Professional Aquariums Get That Cool Ocean Blue Lighting?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by kingkapoor, Mar 15, 2019.

1. kingkapoor

kingkapoorNew MemberMember

I have a simple aqueon kit with LED lights. It's a freshwater but I would like it to have that ocean blue theme. What kind of lighting is being used ? Can I do it myself ?

2. Magicpenny75

Magicpenny75Well Known MemberMember

Look for a light fixture with "6500K" or if you want really blue like on reef tanks, go for 10,000K. These are Kelvin ratings which refer to the color temperature of the lights. If you are new to this, watch out for algae and unless you have a planted aquarium just keep the lights on when you are home and viewing the tank. Higher power lights are better for photosynthesis (which is why they are necessary for things like reef tanks and high end planted tanks).

3. Donthemon

DonthemonWell Known MemberMember

Get a current satellite pro plus. Makes any color you want almost!

4. McGoo

McGooValued MemberMember

Finnex Planted Plus 24/7 is a pretty affordable fixture and you can adjust your lighting with the remote to whatever colours you want. You can adjust yellows to make your water look tinted from almond leaves even if that's what you want. Bright white, ocean blue, green, whatever. There's a 24/7 setting on it too that you set and forget, and it does a whole days worth of lighting. Goes from next to no light, transitions to sunrise, high noon, evening, sunset, and back to moonlight. I've found it to work great. Others may have different opinions on it, but it hasn't done me wrong yet.