How Do Newborn Ramshorns Breathe?

1. chadcf

chadcf Valued Member Member

This may be an obscure question... But I recently learned that ramshorn snails actually breath air and have to come to the surface on occasion to fill their shells up with air to sustain them underwater (which explains a lot, like why there are always some climbing up to the surface and why bubbles sometimes come out of them when I pluck one off the glass). But this made me wonder, how do baby ramshorns survive if they hatch from little snail eggs presumably deep down in the tank? It seems like for a newly hatched tiny snail it must be a monumental trek to the surface for air...

2. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Well Known Member Member

They also get oxygen from the water. They’re so cute. Do you have new bbs? Or just curious? :)

3. OP
    OP
    chadcf

chadcf Valued Member Member

Interesting, can't remember where I found it but it said they had to surface for air or they'd die.

I always have babies. I have given up and just accepted I have ramshorn snails now, I have 9 assasin snails in there and keep hoping they will reach an equalibrium but so far the ramshorns just breed too fast. Every month or so I thin the herd and give away a hundred or so on craigslist...

4. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Well Known Member Member

I put some of mine in the frog pond and some in the fish pond. Always have plenty in the frog pond. None in the fish pond. Finpigs.